is there a way to install IE7 in 98se?

You could use Firefox along with an Internet Explorer rendering extention. I just used to open up Internet Explorer whenever encountering a site like that (open IE, go back to Firefox and copy the url, then paste it into IE.) These things were so rare for me it didn't seem necessary to bother installing the extention.

Netscape is not the Netscape of old. It's built on an older Firefox version with some security updates and alot of AOL stuff, since they own it.

Sea Monkey is really the latest version of the old Netscape suite. It's up to date with bug fixes and security updates as well as features. It went from Netscape to Mozilla to Sea Monkey.

The most advanced combination is Firefox, with Thunderbird for email. That way you get more choices as far as customizing your experience with extentions.

Internet Explorer is zippier on 98SE in my experience as far as opening (since it hooks into the Explorer Shell) and web page loading. If you keep the operating system updated along with the browser from the fixes available from links here, I really see no problem using it.

If you miss the faster opening speed, both Sea Monkey and Firefox include the option to keep them resident in memory for faster opening. For me, I didn't need it as it seemed fast enough for me. I'm not that impatient!

I'm not versed in the browser's that use Internet Explorer, but with their own window. I didn't see the point so never tried it. If I wanted to skin IE I'd use Object Desktop, which will also skin Firefox.

I'd say just experiment and choose what you like. It is too bad we won't get IE7 on 9x, but they'll be lots of things we won't get as the years go by now. If your computer gets what you need done, and has the features that satisfy you, your fine. If you need to keep up with the very latest, well then ya gotta pay and upgrade.

Well. yeah. It still is Internet Explorer. If you navigate the Microsoft IE website, I'm sure you'll find a page that lists the changes. It's not like they switched to Gecko. All those security patches and bug fixes are included, as well as the new features. RSS feeds, a redesigned Favorites section, the tabbed browsing, the ability to put several search engines into the search window, no more big, bulky icon's so the browser window is bigger (although you could always have switched to the smaller, Windows Me default style, smaller icon's), etc. Actually, since I installed the Yahoo version that toolbar makes the browser window about the same size as before. Especially with that McAfee Site Advisor thing taking a whole toolbar of its own. There's no room for it on the other bars, so it puts itself on a whole new bar, with the rest empty just taking up space. Same with the Encarta Search thing, though I have that turned off so it won't do that.

It would be nice to have it, but no, it's not a need to have item.

Just embedding the Trident rendering engine opens you up to IE's horror. A shell won't help you.

The most advanced combination is Firefox, with Thunderbird for email.
If you mean "hogs more memory by using two Gecko rendering engines", then I agree. :)
If you keep the operating system updated along with the browser from the fixes available from links here, I really see no problem using it.

Argh... I just spent several posts explaining that it isn't safe to use at all! Fully updated or not, it doesn't matter. [ulr=http://secunia.com/product/12366/?task=advisories]IE7 is already starting to succumb too.

If you miss the faster opening speed, both Sea Monkey and Firefox include the option to keep them resident in memory for faster opening.
Even better, use K-Meleon!
I'm not versed in the browser's that use Internet Explorer, but with their own window. I didn't see the point so never tried it. If I wanted to skin IE I'd use Object Desktop, which will also skin Firefox.

Shells are more than a skin. They are an entire interface that interacts with the backend.

Does IE7 render all pages similar to IE6?

No. Here's the list of CSS changes.

• 2 weeks later...
If you miss the faster opening speed, both Sea Monkey and Firefox include the option to keep them resident in memory for faster opening.

Even better, use K-Meleon!

or use Opera web browser. Opera 9.02 still supports win9xme/win2000 systems unlike IE7 and Opera loads about as fast as K-Meleon.

I'm currently beta testing Opera 9.10 from the Opera Desktop Team's blog page:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/