is there a way to install IE7 in 98se?

imo the best tab browser shell: maxthon....make sure it's version 1.5.7.xx, not the terrible alpha 2.0.xx going around.

It's not that terrible; it's just alpha. :o

well, it won't even run on 98se at this time...that's pretty terrible! :P

Edited by jasinwa

Yay Yahoo Toolbar!

Heh. That's the way I go on 98SE. I'm still not a convert to tabbed browsing but it's nice that it's included for the occasional desire to keep a few pages available. Not that I ever had a problem just opening a few windows.

On XP I usually don't bother with it as the built in popup blocker is fine. And it's easy enough to navigate Yahoo without the toolbar.

After spending many years with Netscape to Mozilla to Firefox and Thunderbird I've taken to using Internet Explorer lately. I did it first just to see what the new IE 7 was like in Vista Beta. I noticed it got me where I wanted to go. Now I don't even have Firefox installed on my XP or 9x.

Lots of folks love all the Firefox extensions, but I rarely installed any anyway.

I remember I originally switched because the first Internet Explorer versions on 98SE seemed so buggy to me and Netscape just worked (then the rest of the Mozilla line). I got used to it.

But as long as I'm on the net with all the shield's we use now IE is fine, and seemingly pretty secure.

Eh. If I come across annoyances I'll switch back. I guess I don't see the importance of loyalty to boxes that navigate web pages. Sheesh. Who cares? I can't believe people fight over that trivolity. I've gotten quite a chuckle over the years reading all the passion in forum threads over people's favorite browsing GUI.

Now, I DID see the importance of noticing that Microsoft gave it's browser for free while Netscape, at the time, made its money from selling their's. Now there was an operating system killing off a whole company. Shouldn't have been allowed to happen. But it's history now.

Now it's just personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

And, since I was impatient I have the Yahoo customized version of IE7 installed.

No matter. I normally use Yahoo as my default search engine, don't mind the Yahoo Toolbar, use the My Yahoo homepage anyway, and don't care that it says "provided by Yahoo!" on the Titlebar.

Too bad it won't run on 9x. It's a nice upgrade for Internet Explorer and it sure would make installing all the Internet Explorer updates easier, since it comes with most of them built in. It downloads some updates before it installs but I think it already contains most of them. Of course, they are XP versions of the updates.

Hmmm, Firefox 2 next week, eh? I'm sure that'll be nice too. And that works on 9x.

I've got my 98SE on VMWare right now. I got sick of the IOS Error that real mode memory allocation failed ALWAYS showing up after a random program install. It had nothing to do with Nero or MSN Messenger. It happened after I installed Spybot Search and Destroy last time.

No such difficulty with VMWare. It's just too bad there's no Direct X Direct 3D Video acceleration provided by it on 9x. I'll try again at some point making a real installation. I'd rather have the real thing, that includes using my videocard and Direct X gaming.

And that IOS fixing tool did nothing but delete all my font's. Heh. Once that IOS error shows up you're screwed! Windows in Safe Mode only, and MS-DOS is all you're left with.

All I can think of is I've heard scanner software can muck things up. I use an HP Scanjet 3970. Maybe that's not as 98 compatible as HP maintains. I'll try disabling the connected scanner next time rather than installing the software for it. Heck, that's what I do in Vista which has no driver for it as yet. I'll just use the scanner in XP.

EH, who needs IE7 if we're using Win98se or WinME? Download and install the Yahoo! Toolbar for IE from the Yahoo Downloads page
Even with the toolbar, it's still IE. Insecure and horribly out-of-date with regards to web standards.
How about the Maxthon browser? It's customizable, uses whatever IE engine is installed, or mozilla engine, offers tabbed browsing, and still offers an Ansi version for Win9x...

Just a shell on IE. It doesn't make it any more secure.

Yes, you can use the Mozilla engine, but if you want to have a native Windows application that embeds Gecko, you go for K-Meleon.

SlimBrowser
Another shell for IE.
But as long as I'm on the net with all the shield's we use now IE is fine, and seemingly pretty secure.

Eh. If I come across annoyances I'll switch back. I guess I don't see the importance of loyalty to boxes that navigate web pages. Sheesh. Who cares? I can't believe people fight over that trivolity. I've gotten quite a chuckle over the years reading all the passion in forum threads over people's favorite browsing GUI.

You should stay far away from IE. It's horribly insecure. It's better to have a secure program than having to have shields up (that consume extra CPU and RAM), don't you think?

This "loyalty to boxes that navigate web pages" is more important than you think. Well, it's not if it's just about the GUI, but there are several rendering engines out there. IE's is named Trident, which has horrible support for web standards, is far too care-less about coding, and promotes proprietary garbage like coloured scroll bars and glowing text. Gecko, Presto, Merlin and KHTML are much, much better.

And I thought this thread was about getting IE7 on Win98 SE.

Yeah, it's about IE7 on 9x but since it looks impossible I thought I'd comment on the mentioning of Yahoo Toolbar which caught my eye.

So, not a hijack but a comment on a post. And, as long as I'm here, a few rantings about my current experiment's!

Hmm. NCSA Mosaic was the first browser, no? And Internet Explorer was built and extended from that, and an early Mozilla version. I remember actually using both Mosaic and an early Netscape way back in the early 80's in a college computer class. Heh. The 20 minute wait for pictures to load seemed the norm. Fun, though.

Standards are, of course, importent for developer's. But for most user's, it seems to me, we just want our pages to work and load as quick as possible. I don't mind whether my scroll bars are colored. Seems to me that's just more fun for the web site builder's creativity.

Firefox has frequent updates for security purposes, as does Internet Explorer. I always make sure I use my firewalls, virus scanners, spybot detectors whichever browser I'm using. I apply any updates available to better secure things as well. Yes, they use resources. Better that than getting infected and repartitioning.

Either browser seems fine to me. I don't mind running security software. Not intentionally visiting known malware infested sites helps for any browser. And, my cable is directly connected to Comcast so with no router I certainly won't go on without those extra protections.

I think what I'm saying is I appreciate the developer's of both IE and Firefox but aren't married to either.

NCSA Mosaic was the first browser, no?
No, it was not. However, it was the first important browser, in that it was the first browser for Windows, which opened the web to the masses.
And Internet Explorer was built and extended from that

Not really. Spyglass licensed the technology and trademarks of NCSA Mosaic, but didn't use any of its source code. Later, M$ licensed Spyglass' Mosaic and turned it into Internet Explorer.

and an early Mozilla version
No, but it was made by some people that worked on NCSA Mosaic before.

I got all this from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_%28web_browser%29

Standards are, of course, importent for developer's. But for most user's, it seems to me, we just want our pages to work and load as quick as possible.

You're not seeing the whole picture. The neglecting of standards by IE also affects you as a user, because it

1) encourages bad web design

2) prohibits web developers from making better web pages because IE has horrible CSS support

By the way, please don't abuse the apostrophe. Plural forms don't require one in any context.

I don't mind whether my scroll bars are colored.
Sure, you don't, but I bet colour-blind people do. It's an accessibility problem, which is why it didn't become a standard.
Firefox has frequent updates for security purposes, as does Internet Explorer.

And pigs fly! IE has frequent updates? Sure, after sitting on the vulnerabilities for up to six months. M$ isn't fast enough as it should be when an exploit is known and in the wild. Mozilla is faster in responding.

Yes, they use resources. Better that than getting infected and repartitioning.
See, you only get infected if you're using insecure software, of which IE is one, and don't practice common sense. Do I run anti-virus software? No. Do I run anti-malware software? No. Have I been infected? No. Why? Because I use secure Gecko-based browsers while practicing common sense.
Not intentionally visiting known malware infested sites helps for any browser.

Most of those sites are geared towards IE. Gecko not being IE, not having ActiveX and generally being secure, doesn't get infected on those sites. And I sure did visit some at times.

I think what I'm saying is I appreciate the developer's of both IE and Firefox but aren't married to either.

Who says I'm married? I use SeaMonkey, by the way. The point is that you should use any browser BUT IE to not promote non-standards and be secure.

Apostrophy problem's, eh?

Heh, it's been too many years since my composition training! Sorry, I just put 'em where I think they belong. I learned by the rules but as the memory evades, intuition takes over.

Sea Monkey's the Mozilla Suite reborn right? I used Mozilla until Firefox came out with their 1.0 Final. I also used mostly Netscape before all that. So I've been basically going with the anything but Internet Explorer until quite recently.

What got me back was the Vista Beta 2 CCP program. Although I installed Firefox the first time, as IE7 seemed buggy expecially in the Favorites area, I then decided to try Internet Explorer again without installing Firefox. This, on a slightly later Vista build. They seemed to come out with new build's quite frequently for a while.

I found IE quite usable. So I then tried it on my 9x and XP setup's and also was satisfied. You know, Active X, Flash, Java, etc. have had several security updates in the last couple of years. Now you even get to click to activate the Active X control's.

I understand the argument's. (Still think those apostrophies are supposed to be there!) And, I too have occasionally dabbled in the world of slightly dangerous web page viewing, in both IE and Firefox. Thankfully I've never been seriously infected by anything. In most cases I've viewed these types of things in Firefox since that's what I had been using. And yes, when going to download sites with IE I've had the "boinggg" of my virus scanner detecting, preventing, and deleting nasties. Same sites with Firefox and only something in the download might get the virus scanner's attention, and we would avoid the "auto-nasty thing-install" provided by IE's Active X. But then, the newer security setting's would now also prevent most of that stuff. Generally it would happen when I was looking for something I really shouldn't have! (Bad, Bad Eck.)

Aw, you're probably correct in most cases. However, it seems to me that things are kind of looking pretty similar between the standard's these days. (No apostrophy?)

I'm just liking what I see in IE at this time. I just downloaded the new Firefox 2.0. If I do decide to install it, it then will be my default. I've never seen the point of installing an alternative browser if I wasn't going to be in that thing nearly all the time I'm browsing.

I'll probably just look around at some of the assorted forum's for a bit. Let's see what folks think when comparing the two. For now, I'm an IE7 user. When unfixed bugs start annoying me and Microsoft goes back to almost never fixing them, I'll then once again rejoin the Firefox bandwagon. For now, IE7 is new and works fine.

Like I said, little loyalty regarding this. The IE7 flavor is appealing at the moment.

Sea Monkey's the Mozilla Suite reborn right?
Yup.
You know, Active X, Flash, Java, etc. have had several security updates in the last couple of years. Now you even get to click to activate the Active X control's.

Flash and Java are plug-ins that generally get installed by the user. I'm not arguing about those.

ActiveX is an M$ technology integrated into the browser. No security updates will help it, as its very purpose and functionality makes it insecure. ActiveX grants its control the same priviledges that the user has. It can create, delete, move files at will, and more, just like you can. On a Win9x system, users have all priviledges, making it even more of a threat if one misbehaves.

But then, the newer security setting's would now also prevent most of that stuff.
It's better, but it's no safe-guard against IE's own flaws like buffer overflows and such.
However, it seems to me that things are kind of looking pretty similar between the standard's these days.

Not even close. Look at this summary table. HTML is generally well implemented, but IE pales in comparison to other browsers when it comes to CSS (2.1). While other browsers support more than 90% of it, IE6 only knows 51% of it, and IE7 still only knows 57%. An improvement, but not good enough. Especially after 5 years, though I'm aware absolutely no development was done during most of it. And if you use a lot of JavaScript to interact with the DOM as a web developer, IE doesn't give you much meat either, while other browsers do much better.

For now, IE7 is new and works fine.
Technically speaking, it's new if it's 2002. :P
Heh, it's been too many years since my composition training! Sorry, I just put 'em where I think they belong. I learned by the rules but as the memory evades, intuition takes over.

I wasn't going to say anything more about it, but since you talk about the problem in your entire post, I'll bite. :)

Apostrophes are generally only used for possessive context. Microsoft's Windows, Mozilla's browser, etc. For plural forms, you never use an apostrophe in English, as far as I know (you do in Dutch, though ;) ).

I could actually dig out a book or two from my composition courses (but I won't, since that's a lot of digging for this. It's not like I'm writing a book) that gave the rules for that time (1970's).

I KNOW that, at least back then, apostrophies were to be applied for certain plural form's (like that one, I think.)

What I've forgotten is exactly when they are to be used and when they are not.

As far as the browsers, I'm sure you are correct. But I'm getting used to IE again, like I said really for the first time. I guess I've regressed.

Maybe it's temporary insanity.

If I may intrude...

I found these links about correct use of the apostrophe punctuation mark/symbol in languages using the Latin alphabet [']:

http://www.dace.co.uk/apostrophe.htm

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxwheret.html

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe

Have fun.

Yes! Feel free to intrude. Education is a beautiful thing.

Hmm. It seems that only one of those links (I certainly would normally put one there) gave an exception for plural nouns. (Oh, come on. Not there either?)

I believe I was taught, by classes and textbooks, a way that appears to be frowned upon now. Heck. I would've used it in appears as well. Although, perhaps not when all the old rules were fresh in my memory. Perhaps they were never allowed in adjectives.

To think that my English Professors (not there either, eh?) used to call me a natural writer.

Getting older is a dangerous thing for the mind. I used to be able to write whole term papers in a single draft on a regular typewriter without any spelling or grammer checking.

Leaving those apostrophies out is already creeping me out!

My only concern about IE7 on Win9x is that there are still some stupid websites out their that require IE to open or function correctly.

For those sites, what is the best browser to use?

Is using Netscape or Maxthons browser using the trident rendering engine any better (safer/faster) than just firing up IE6 SP1?