is there a way to install IE7 in 98se?

Hello!

is it possible?

Not even in Windows 2000. Only in XP.SP2, XP.x64 and 2003.SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/ab...qs/default.mspx

(I hope that there will be MSFN thread titled: "IE7 in 2000.SP4 with kernel updates")

BTW, if you have fast Windows 98.SE PC with a lot of RAM, you can install Connectix

Virtual PC 5.1 and inside it XP.SP2 and then IE7.B2 ... :D

Cheers, Roman

Edited by modicr

is it possible?

Not in this world. <_<

yea i mean forget it, guys. ie7 isnt designed for 9xME systems anyway so why bother. the 9xme era of windows is almost coming to an end.

• 5 months later...

EH, who needs IE7 if we're using Win98se or WinME? Download and install the Yahoo! Toolbar for IE from the Yahoo Downloads page:

http://downloads.yahoo.com/

click on the link to download the latest release of Yahoo Toolbar for IE. The latest releases of the Yahoo Toolbar for Internet Explorer will add a Popup Blocker and Tabbed browsing to your existing version of IE. I've installed the Yahoo Toolbar and IE6 SP1 can now display tabs in IE on my WinME machine. NEAT!

min requirements for IE Yahoo Toolbar are Win98se & IE 5.5.

and besides, IE7 RC is still buggy. good thing I didnt install IE7 RC on my other PC that has XP SP2.

EH, who needs IE7 if we're using Win98se or WinME? Download and install the Yahoo! Toolbar for IE from the Yahoo Downloads page:

click on the link to download the latest release of Yahoo Toolbar for IE. The latest releases of the Yahoo Toolbar for Internet Explorer will add a Popup Blocker and Tabbed browsing to your existing version of IE. I've installed the Yahoo Toolbar and IE6 SP1 can now display tabs in IE on my WinME machine. NEAT!

TERRIBLE and DISGUSTING. Even worse than first MSN Toolbar with tabbed browsing. :realmad:

TERRIBLE and DISGUSTING. Even worse than first MSN Toolbar with tabbed browsing. :realmad:

WOW! does the Yahoo Toolbar for IE crash your computer, Tihiy?

I installed it under my relative's Win98se PC, my WinME computer and my brother's XP SP2 laptop machine and it works well. haven't found any problems with it! :thumbup

anyway my brother does use the Yahoo Toolbar on IE on his laptop. if I disable or remove the Yahoo Toolbar, he'll get p***ed. so I better not mess with it and he likes it.

oh well, it just cant please everyone

EH, who needs IE7 if we're using Win98se or WinME?

Well, I do. I need to install IE7 for test purposes (web development). It would be sooo useful to me if I could use IE7 in my primary OS (98 SE).

And yes, I realise that with the coming end of Mozilla's support for 9x, I will have finally to abandon my beloved 98 SE as the OS in which I develop. But I do still hold out some hope that people much more talented than I will be able to keep a Firefox branch for 9x alive.

WOW! does the Yahoo Toolbar for IE crash your computer, Tihiy?

I installed it under my relative's Win98se PC, my WinME computer and my brother's XP SP2 laptop machine and it works well. haven't found any problems with it! :thumbup

anyway my brother does use the Yahoo Toolbar on IE on his laptop. if I disable or remove the Yahoo Toolbar, he'll get p***ed. so I better not mess with it and he likes it.

What's so great about the Yahoo toobar ? You speak about it a lot since some time.

How about the Maxthon browser? It's customizable, uses whatever IE engine is installed, or mozilla engine, offers tabbed browsing, and still offers an Ansi version for Win9x...

Also, I'm rather sure that IF IE 7's mshtml.dll file has no unresolved dependencies on win9x, it could run with the Maxthon gui, thus providing you with the rendering engine of IE7. (pipe dream?)

post-54728-1159828998_thumb.png

Edited by jimmsta

Also, I'm rather sure that IF IE 7's mshtml.dll file has no unresolved dependencies on win9x, it could run with the Maxthon gui, thus providing you with the rendering engine of IE7. (pipe dream?)

mshtml.dll 7.00.5700.6 has the following unresolved dependencies on Windows 98 SE:

iert.dll - missing

psapi.dll - missing

IEFRAME.DLL - missing

UxTheme.dll - missing

GDI32.DLL

- missing GetFontUnicodeRanges

KERNEL32.DLL

- missing GetSystemDefaultUILanguage

- missing GetSystemWindowsDirectoryW

- missing GetUserDefaultUILanguage

- missing EnumUILanguagesW

- missing ActivateActCtx

- missing CreateActCtxW

- missing ReleaseActCtx

- missing DeactivateActCtx

USER32.DLL

- missing AllowSetForegroundWindow

- missing IsWinEventHookInstalled

ADVAPI32.DLL

- missing GetTraceEnableFlags

- missing GetTraceEnableLevel

- missing GetTraceLoggerHandle

- missing RegisterTraceGuidsW

- missing TraceEvent

- missing UnregisterTraceGuids

SHLWAPI.DLL

- missing SHRegGetValueW

- missing AssocGetPerceivedType

SHELL32.DLL

- missing SHGetFolderPathA

- missing SHGetFolderPathW

URLMON.DLL - many unresolved imports

If you would like to use IE7 iert.dll it has the following unresolved references:

KERNEL32.DLL

- missing GlobalMemoryStatusEx

SHELL32.DLL

- missing SHGetFolderPathW

It looks like really impossible to use IE7 core on Win9x OS.

Petr

I've been using SlimBrowser for years, I can't even remember how IE looks like. It works on every Win version except for Win95 (since recently, I think). Its only main issue is that - because of a bug in recent versions of explorer.exe - it's incompatible with the hidden taskbar option when a skin is applied (taskbar won't show up on mouse hover). However, in Win98SE it does work; at least for me it always did.

There's another thread around the board regarding SlimBrowser, where I offered some tip.