Word 2003 - poor response time

mercurius

I have recently upgraded to Office 2003 and find that when I use Word, I often have to wait in the Open file dialogue box for 30 - 60 secs plus for the system to respond when I am tring to navigate to the right folder.

I have also upgraded the RAM from 512 to 1 gigabyte.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and how I could cure it?

mercurius

One other thing which may be a clue here. When the freezing happened last, I looked in Windows Task Manager and noticed that a file called pavfires.exe was taking up 97-99% of the CPU capacity.

It turns out that this is part of my Pandasoft Antivirus software. Presumably it is checking for viruses, etc. in My documents. However, it's extremely irritating and I wonder whether anyone else has had this and, if so, how they have got round it. Or do i just need to be patient?

Thanks,

mercurius

• 1 month later...
One other thing which may be a clue here. When the freezing happened last, I looked in Windows Task Manager and noticed that a file called pavfires.exe was taking up 97-99% of the CPU capacity.

It turns out that this is part of my Pandasoft Antivirus software. Presumably it is checking for viruses, etc. in My documents. However, it's extremely irritating and I wonder whether anyone else has had this and, if so, how they have got round it. Or do i just need to be patient?

Thanks,

mercurius

is HP printer connected to that PC ? have it installed the full version of HP Drivers ?

if yes, then you should try this.. its known issue discussed in ms knowledge base.

Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software. The MS06-015 (908531)

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-015.mspx) security update includes a "white list"; VERCLSID.EXE will not scan any extension that appears on this list. Adding the HP shell extension corrects the problem. Manually edit the registry:1. Log on to the computer with an account with administrator privileges.

2. Click the Start button and then click Run.

3. Type Regedit and then click OK.

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached

5. Right-click "Cached", point to New, click "DWORD Value", and then enter: {A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9} {000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0x401

6. Set the Data of this value to 1

7. Close the Registry Editor.

8. Use Task Manager to end the Verclsid.exe process or restart the computer.

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem - in the "open file" dialog box when clicking the "look in" drop down list or clicking a sub-directory on the left hand side takes ages to respond. All my other software works fine.

There are several reports about files being slow to load due to bad context menu handlers but that is not the problem - it is navigating the directories that takes ages.

The problem arises whether or not I am online, hooked up to my VPN or not

Any ideas would be very welcome.

(thinkpad X60, XP Pro, 1.5 gig memory, symantec AV, no HP printer )