[Help] Chkdsk always runs twice.

Synomenon

I'm running Windows XP Pro.. Whenever I run check disk, I do it by opening the run command in the start menu and then typing:

chkdsk c:/f/r

and then:

chkdsk d:/f/r

C is my primary hard drive and D is my external hard drive. The problem is, when I restart and then chkdsk starts, it runs and checks both drives, but after the second drive finishes, it scans them again. Anyone know how to keep chkdsk from checking each hard drive twice?

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

Please follow XP Forum Rules from now on.

--Sonic

IsLNdbOi what is the need for check disk ?. How many real disks have you got and how many parititons ?.

What you could do is just boot up with the xp disk if you have it and do a repair, select the disk you want to do a checkdisk (1,2)

command to run then is just chkdsk /r......

still dont no why ur doing it manually unless you have a problem with the disks or a problem with the windows install.

I can't help you unfortunately. I had a similar? experience once. After scheduling a checkdisk of C and D (and E) partitions on a Raid set-up, the checkdisk would be perfomed more than once without any errors in the log. By the way, I scheduled the checkdisk actions manulally to make sure HD's were fine (because of many BSOD reboots, which turned out to be caused by faulty memory). I never figured out why, never really tried neither as it stopped again after a while.

I have a 150GB Raptor, a 160GB IDE WD in an external firewire enclosure and a 40GB IDE Toshiba in a USB 2.0 external enclosure. I do it manually because I don't like having to wait for Windows to finish checking the external drives, since I have to restart it anyways for the check to be done on my primary drive (the 150GB Raptor). Doing it manually, I can just set all of them to be checked, restart and then it scans them all without me having to restart after the external hard drives are done.

The idea is that I can leave and when I get back, checkdisk will be done scanning them all. That is how it works, BUT since it seems to scan all of them twice (even with no errors detected after the first scans), it takes up around 3 to 4 hours sometimes for the whole process to finish.