copy-protection

crystalxp

What are the best software to do a copy-protection to your CD or DVD?

like making sure that no body can copy your CD or DVD unless they enter a code or any other method like data loss ...etc

i found these but there are not really intended to do what i'm talking about:

ArtisCD

SDProtector Pro

any experience?

thanx ;)

Edit:

Topic title edited. Please try and select a better title next time!

Edited by Gouki

:hello:

there is no best, they can all be gotten around very easily.

can you assisst me with a name or a link if you don't mind

i couldn't find any...i think i suck when it comes to Google search specially when tons of links get listed!

there was another post about similar things here

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...2990&hl=protect

you are not getting the point here ScubaSteve ... i'm not talking about accessing the contents of the cd,i'm talking about totally something else....

I don't want anybody to be able to copy the cd (make a copy) of my cd :no:

if billion dollar corporations can't even protect their media i'm afraid there isn't much hope for the home user :(

you are so true...but I'm not going to expose or distribute my project to the world but my friends sure will monitor and test what I'm creating .... I just don't want them to make copies of what I'm giving them to test...does that make a sense?

any idea? ;)

Edited by crystalxp

I don't want anybody to be able to copy the cd (make a copy) of my cd
Unless you get a company to make a custom-built CD with the special features like Safedisc (which only the worst CD burners can't copy), it's impossible. Especially if you're burning your own CD-Rs.

i was going to suggest encryption, but once your testers decrypt it they would be able to share it unrestricted.

it would help to know what kind of media you're trying to protect. is it data, music, or video?

i just had a really good idea tho, i don't think all is lost. you could watermark your files that you need protected with a particular signature that can be traced back to each tester.

for instance if you have 10 testers, you'd have 10 different watermarks, each corresponding to the tester.

if it's video, a watermark could be say a small transparent graphic in one of the corners.

for music, it would be hard, and would have to blend in with the type of music. in it's most basic form it could be a few beeps at the beginning of a track, but that would be trimmed of easily.

if it's data, you could append a byte to your data file that signals the beginning of a signature (FF for instance), and then just append a unique 8 byte signature.

for watermarking to work, it's best if it's not noticed by your clients.

the watermark must also persist when the media is "ripped" into another format.

the watermark should be difficult to completely remove.

if it all works you'll be able to seek compensation if and when your work does get copied because you'll know exactly who copied it.