Hardware Interrupts Using 50% CPU

ChunkDog

Ok, well here it goes:

I just recently upgraded my graphics card from a Radeon AIW 9700 Pro 128mb to a Radeon X850Pro 256mb, both are AGP. The switch went flawless, or so I thought, and started fragging away. Well, I noticed a strange problem that seemed random at first, but on further inspection noticed that it would more than likely happen when the X850Pro was rendering fog type effects, like dust, of smoke, but occasionally would happen just because. Now the problem is that my frame rate will just all of the sudden drop tremendously, and the only way to alleviate the problem is to restart the system.

After noticing this behaviour, I started to troubleshoot. First I tried Task manager, but that was no help, so then I tried Process Explorer. Basically Process Explorer was showing me 50% CPU utilization with the "Hardware Interrupts".

I have tried turning off "Allocate IRQ For VGA" in the BIOS, but that had no effect. I was trying to find a program that would monitor or log Hardware Interrupts in real time, so as to narrow down the device causing the problems (Although I'm sure it's my new graphics card). Any Help would be great, thanks.

I just tried flashing my BIOS, and this in turn reset the CMOS settings. Still having the same Problem.

My System:

Abit IS7

P4 3.06ghz (oc'ed to 3.58ghz)

2x 512mb Corsair XMS LLP (2-2-5-2) at 1:1 with FSB

Radeon X850 Pro (oc'ed to 540 core, 550 memory) not the stock cooler of course

Creative Audigy 2 Platinum

WD 250gb IDE

Edited by ChunkDog

i think u went a little too deep in your analysis, i'd bet money it's your graphics driver.

if you're not using the newest catalyst, go upgrade and see if that fixes it. newest is 6.4 i think?

if you are using the newest catalyst then try downgrading to the previous version. don't forget to use ati's uninstaller to completely remove existing catalyst drivers.

if necessary, try downgrading to the very first catalyst that supported your card.

whenever you do find a stable driver for your card, don't upgrade it just because a newer version comes out...just stick with what works.

- cheers on the nice mobo choice :)

Edited by ophiel

I'm running the latest ATI Drivers, and I also used Driver cleaner after using the ATI Uninstall Utility just to be thorough. I'm Also running an Abit motherboard with an 865PE chipset from Intel.

Edited by ChunkDog

When you run a stock speeds you still have the problem? If yes, I bet your card is fried :P.

i had the same problem with my ATi 9000, overclocked by 5 mhz to much i mean its just a small number but i had to buy i new card because of it

Well, I put everything back to stock speeds, and am no longer getting the problem, but i have had a crash to desktop once after an hour of gameplay, but that's minor, and probably just a bug. I will report back as to what I oc'ed was the problem, though I think it was the CPU. Thanks for the help.

i get a random crash to desktop every now and then with my ATI, that's normal and probably not even your card's fault.

i've been using the driverheaven zeropoint drivers lately and have gotten some really good performance