[UPDATED, 07/05/2006]X2K Project, more project and works

Dels

This version of XPize does create a backup of all the original files changed (and regs too) so this is not as dangerous as I might of thought. The time stamps and versions of the files are the same. I think this installer modifies your original exe's and dll's. There must be many files similar to XP as W2K (and 2003).

The size of each file is larger due to the new icons and bitmaps though (who cares).

I am going to try a virtual desktop to see if all the icons work. I would like to see a version that uses all open icons etc., although I do own a legal copy of XP as well.

Hey would someone explain to me the issue with 32bit icons in Win2k? And is a patch available?

Hey would someone explain to me the issue with 32bit icons in Win2k? And is a patch available?

There's no patch available right now. Some guy from Russia (the author of Win98 Revolutions) said long ago he was going to work on the subject but nothing has surfaced yet. It seems that he never get tired of 98. :P

Anyway I think most of those xp icons look terrible under 2k. I like the office 2003 icons better, which look "up-to-date" and don't have neither that awful perspective nor the big shadow behind. We should keep the best from both worlds to enhance 2k for the time being. Just my two cents.

I am sorry if this thread is progressing against Dels original direction but it has been nearly 2 months since we have seen a post from him.

That said, I stumbled upon an interesting read. The download does work near the end of the thread.

It seems that WildBill has figured a technique to modify the icons used in XPize to work for W2k! It is not the '32bit patch' but the results are supposed to be good.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=55706

I like the office 2003 icons better

I have seen some awesome icons come out of *nix themes. :w00t:

• 4 weeks later...

i wonder what happened to this project, i just came accross this thread and read every page. my my, you guys have made a lot of progress. tommorrow im going to try the latest version of XPize on a VPC with 2000 pro and see what happens.

ill post back with my findings. i hope dels comes back and lets us know whats going on. even if he just says "hi" then we know hes still there. :(

my regards,

-cygnus

i think he's gone or some.....

but i may somewhare have his fileset lying around. with icons...

but id wish to know.. - how many of you would participate in a new project.

to create all (or as many as posible) resources...

id be willing to host it...

Edited by -I-

Hope you don't take this the wrong way but some of the icons don't have full transparency around them...

Maybe you could find someone on devientart or something who is interested in your project and wants to do the icons.

Other than that it looks pretty good! Good job

Hope you don't take this the wrong way but some of the icons don't have full transparency around them...

Maybe you could find someone on devientart or something who is interested in your project and wants to do the icons.

Other than that it looks pretty good! Good job

some of the icons don't have full transparency around them...

Even if the icons have that transparency (known typically as the alpha channel for 32-bit icons), Windows 2000 won't display it.

A guy called Tihiy worked this problem out for Windows98 and provided a hack (along with many other improvements) with a freeware package called '98 Revolutions'. Now he is (or was) working on a similar project for Win2k called '2000 Revolutions'. We are all waiting for that!

If anyone hears of a beta download, please post it here. <---- :hello: ------- :thumbup

If someone could convince Tihiy to post the just the 'alpha' hack for icons that would keep some of us playing for a while. 98 Revolutions seems to be an incredible piece of work and if Tihiy is working on a 2k version he may not release it until he is satisfied that it won't crap out.

I wrote a small app that changes system icons for Windows 2000 (see pic). It works on my laptop and on the wife's desktop.

For this test run, I only changed 'My Computer' and 'Recycle' icons. It works from an icon list file:

[system icons]

%WinDir%\explorer.exe, 100, MyComp.ico

%SysDir%\shell32.dll, 32, Trash.ico

%SysDir%\shell32.dll, 33, TrashFul.ico

[system bmps]

;not yet incorporated

Would anyone care to alpha test before I release?

See pics for the before and afters.

post-81494-1157643843_thumb.png

post-81494-1157643860_thumb.png

post-81494-1157643873_thumb.png

I have deviated a little from Dels original intention by including icons either than XP. But it still can 'XPize' the icons if you choose an Xp set. If this is not the proper branch for this, someone let me know and I will move it.

That said, I am playing with bmp mods now and a new boot screen for ntoskrnl.

I would sure like to solve the 32-bit alpha channel problem. There are some great icon sets made for XP that don't work so well for 2000 (see pic).

post-81494-1158034775_thumb.png

Bitmaps are working. New boot screen and banners. I 'borrowed' the banners from WildBill for test purposes. I like them but I won't include these with the download unless he oks it.

BTW, I should mention that all the original icons and bitmaps get saved in a restore directory so you can change things back to original if you like.

post-81494-1158253482_thumb.png

post-81494-1158253496_thumb.png