[UPDATED, 07/05/2006]X2K Project, more project and works

Dels

Are you sure that your monitor signal cable is ok, and all the pins are contacting?

Simple, but some ppl do miss it (not most, of course)

nope, i think this is cause this is old monitor (i have use it since 2001 lol)

• 3 weeks later...

You have to use Desktop Architect 2.11. Google it but i believe its still on ThemeDoctor.com. Its set under the tools --->options---->Advanced

is it possible to introduce clear backdrops for icon shadows on desktop like in XP?

Its a shame it died. I guess we will have to wait for Windows 2000 revolutions, from the makes of 98 Revolutions

I guess it just died prematurely :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I got a PM from Squeeto, so decided to fill this in.

X2k is an ambitious project compared to XPize(read on). I've done more icon modifying than I think Dels has, so I know the scope of what must be done. I offered to convert the XPize icons into non-alpha format, but we apparently had a misunderstanding over what was wanted. For almost all icons there's no quality difference between 24bit non-alpha and 8bit non-alpha, but the size difference is huge. I stated that I was going to continue converting 8-bit icons, and once I am finished I will release them for anyone that wants them.

Since then I have discovered other things. For one, XPize icon quality is severely degraded by removing the Alpha layer. This has led to me manually recreating most XPize icons myself in 8bit; a lengthy chore. I then noticed that I was missing some files, so built a batch script to locate the files that need patching. I actually discovered that there's 1633 files remaining in order to put all XP icons into Win2k, so it's going to be a while before I get those done. :lol:

Hope that clears things up in relation to where I fit into X2k. Right now I'm also busy setting up a business, so I won't have much time throughout the summer. If someone wants though, I can put together what I've already done. Right now I have a slew of exe files marked "perfect", "good", "acceptable", "redo", etc. If people don't mind having varying icon quality or little red X's on ones I marked to redo, I can throw them into the USP exe's and put that up somewhere. Hopefully MS won't get too huffy over redistributing system files. :whistle:

-Kramy

Edited by Kramy

I can't believe nobody had the time or knowlegde to make a real 32-bit icon patch for Win2k. I mean even 98 has one, for God's sake!

I would love one. That could have saved me a lot of time converting icons. I think Wild Bill had some knowledge of why Win2k can't display 32bit icons properly, but I don't know if he has enough knowledge to crack or fix it. I imagine someone with tons of assembler knowledge would be required for that sort of low-level GDI fix that can't impact anything within the DLL files that perform those operations. That or someone that has access to MS source code.

Just a guess though, since I really have no idea what displays stuff on-screen or what I'm talking about. :lol:

Thanks Kramy.

I think Wild Bill had some knowledge of why Win2k can't display 32bit icons

You mean Dels?

I hope Dels posts as well to let us know his current state of mind with the project. If not, I would like to see a post of the available files so that we can continue. Now thinking that a hybrid with the new loading, banners, logon screen, etc. and the .icl icon replacement method shown here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=74641

could be a option as well. Icl files could be modified if the person desires icons either than XP as well.

Not trying to intrude. Just not sure if Dels is coming back.

No, I mean WildBill. He created the Delphi tClock mod that allowed semi-transparent skinning of the taskbar, although last I checked that project had fallen silent too.

I have not been in contact with Dels for a while. If someone did create a 32bit Win2k icon patch, then my workload would be limitted to extracting XP 32bit icons and setting them up with an XPize installer. The conversion aspect would be totally gone, which would make it loads simpler and quicker. Good results could also be attained by just about anyone, and given the number of people that want to see this project bear fruit, I think there would probably be lots of volunteers.

All it would take is someone making a batch script to divide the files containing icons into 10 or so groups, and then let 10 "grunts" do all the extracting and saving work. :yes: The XP icon aspect of X2k could be completed incredibly quickly if there was no chance of mess ups and no conversions required.

Hah, aren't I dreaming? :whistle:

Edited by Kramy

what might be a good idea would be to get all resources on a website...

and let those guys who want to pick up some of them,

the only thing would be to require is that the images would/should be released in a gpl-like manor

(so for example, the backgrounds, and diferent parts of the immages, are also stored seperately, for re-use purposes)....

Edited by -I-

Thanks XPero.

Don't recommend everyone trying this one at home but I did! I have Windows 2000 and know that XPize doesn't work on it but tried anyway :)

I used an early version (XPize_uAE_1_2.exe) and so far everything still works. I am not sure what actually got modified but ... I was just playing around anyway.

Have a look (the icons are mine though):

Oh, btw, I didn't select reg. tweaks during install.

post-81494-1153937125_thumb.png

Edited by Squeeto