motherboard with no cpu

hougtimo

no, im not as n00by as it sounds :P

right, I have recieved my motherboard, but I want to know whether it is all functioning properly. i have NOT got my cpu yet. can i turn it on and enter the bios etc...? or will i break something?

no, im not as n00by as it sounds :P

Yes, you are!!!

right, I have recieved my motherboard, but I want to know whether it is all functioning properly. i have NOT got my cpu yet. can i turn it on and enter the bios etc...? or will i break something?

Er... no.... that is akin to driving your new Ferarri and waiting on the engine to come in. And its not going to post since there is no CPU in it, so why risk screwing it up?

If you READ that small booklet called the manual, it probably informs you NOT to power the board without cpu/memory/common sense. Not to be blasting ya, but if you are wanting to fry a board, send me that one and I'll overnite ya a perfectly good P3 board without proc you can fry all day long. Just be patient and wait for the proc man....

lol, ok, I just wasnt sure thats all. Also I don't have a manual with it as i boughtt he board off ebay, second hand from a broke up pc - it did specify that the mobo is all in working order.

PS - I wouldnt buy a ferrari - i would get an aston martin db9 volante :P

Hohoho even executing BIOS code (including POST process) needs processor :lol: :lol:

PSU - mainboard - processor - RAM - video card - monitor/TV

I think those are the minimum setup, no keyboard, no mouse, no hard disk, hahah :D:P

Ah that first post made my day :lol:

Well you could go about building the rest of the pc around the motherboard, then when the cpu arrives drop it in and switch the thing on (not forgetting the heatsink/fan tho :P ).. saves a little time that way.