Guys I have a problem and I'm going to be 100% honest with you all

Kelly Keyboard

Here's the story;

My dad has been issued a Toshiba laptop from his work. It has a 100% legit, genuine Windows XP Pro SP2 copy pre-installed on it. I confirmed this by the sticker on the bottom of the laptop as well as the "Is this copy of Windows legal?" button accessed via My Computer>Help>Is this copy of Windows legal? (In the menu bar). Microsoft servers say it is a genuine copy.

Anyway the other day I was disabling a lot of the pre-installed junk that came with the laptop in "msconfig" and I disabled around half the stuff that didn't look like it was essential and restarted the laptop. BAM! Windows refused to load. So I then tried booting via safe mode and the "Use most recent stable config." but it still won't boot.

It hangs at the Welcome screen for approx. 3 mins before giving a BSOD. Something like "blah blah blah. The system will now shutdown." (I can't check the message ATM but I will one my dad gets home)

Because he needs his laptop for work, I decided to do a repair install using a pirated copy of XP Pro SP2 Corp. Edition. Anyway the laptop works fine now.

The problem is though that I had to use an illegal Corp. CD key to get it to install - the key on the sticker of his laptop wasn't accepted.

So he has a copy of XP Pro SP2 with an illegal key. I want to be able to change it back to the work issued legal key so that he (or the company) doesn't potentially get into trouble. He doesn't know the laptop is running a illegal key.

He was issued with a XP disc with the laptop, except it's not a traditional retail or OEM one - youcannot make partitions during DOS Windows XP installation and I think you can only use it on that specific laptop.

Is it possible to do another repair installation or recovery of the XP install using this disc or can I run windows activation and activate the current Corp. install using his work XP key. How can I change the key back to the work issued legal key?

Thank you in advance,

KellyK

You may need to replace pidgen.dll file from original cd (because your pirated version may be VLK not retail and they have different cd keys), so copy PIDGEN.DLL from your original cd's I386 folder to your windows\system32 folder.