Me freezing

Silverscreen

my windows ME crashed yesterday while in the middle of doing something.

it now freezes at the logo screen everytime i try to start it.

i tried getting it to the safe mode, but it froze after i pressed F5 (button to go into safe mode)

now it freezes at the startup menu, can anyone help me?

my laptop details are below:

Asus A1300B Specifications

Processor Intel Pentium III 750MHz with SpeedStep at 100MHz bus clock

Memory

128MB SDRAM expandable to 320MB

Graphics SiS 630 video controller

LCD Display 13.3-inch XGA TFT color display

Display Modes 1024 x 768 at 32- and 16-bit color

Media 24x Teac CD-ROM with floppy disk drive

Storage 18.6GB

I/O 2x USB, 1x serial, parallel, VGA-out, S-Video TV-out, RJ-45 Fast Ethernet, RJ-11 56K modem, audio (headphone, line-in, mic-in), IrDA, PS/2

PC Card Slot 2x Type-II

Audio SiS 7018 audio controller

Pointing Device and Keyboard Touchpad, CD Playback buttons

Power Requirements Li-ion battery

(2.5-3 hours)

how long does it take before it freezes? have you left the computer just sitting for a little while, kinda just to cool off? if so, then do what LLXX said and clean out the fan. but i would tend to disagree with the over heating thingy, i have had 6 laptops or so and they have never overheated. also, they area all old laptops, one as old as 10 years O.O if your computer contintues this weird behavior, a reload of windows might be in order. :( oh well, i hope you get it fixed.

-brian

i have had 6 laptops or so and they have never overheated. also, they area all old laptops, one as old as 10 years
It's the newer laptops with their more powerful CPUs that generate the extra heat. I have an old 386 laptop that still works fine, since it doesn't get very hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Heat would NOT be a problem during a cold boot. Only after running for a while.

However, the newer laptops should NEVER be set on any insulating surface like a rug or bed.

They should only be set on hard surfaces like a tabletop. Even then, raising the back of the laptop about an inch off the tabletop to increase air circulation under the unit, helps a lot.

Is this laptop being operated by battery or line power?

If by line power, try removing the large battery pack and restart the laptop PC from line power only.

A shorted battery pack will sometimes give the problem you're experiencing. (just a thought)

My little compaq laptop has a shorted battery pack. I removed it from the laptop and I've run it just off of line power for several years now.

New batterys are just too expensive.

My solution to running my little 'puter during a dire emergency (like a hurricane) is a 12v car battery, a 500w inverter and the laptops little AC power supply. The whole rig was cheaper than that darn'd laptop battery, and I can use it to make coffee too, with a little 12v emersion heater. :whistle:

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)