Pros and cons for Windows 2003 server

champ

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't I hear that Server 2003 is more secure? I might be wrong....

Server 2003 is faster than XP, unless if you install DCPROMO, then it will take forever to load at the startup. And I use 2003 as a backup OS / Workstation, not a server. I use XP as my main OS.

Yes, Server 2003 has a better kernel and new security features, thus making Server 2003 better than XP in everything. Of course that if we are going to compare them we must do it in raw installations, with no software installed at all, no modifications or regtweaks. Conclusio? Server 2003 is better :)

Of course that if we are going to compare them we must do it in raw installations, with no software installed at all, no modifications or regtweaks. Conclusio? Server 2003 is better :)

:lol: that's obvious : with no modifications, Server 2003 doesn't uses themes.

Instead of comparing XP/2003 "out of the box", we should copy XP settings on 2003 and 2003 settings on XP... Then differences will be very small.

But that's not important : better kernel or not, 2003 and XP does'nt focuses on the same goals :rolleyes:

Edited by Delprat

Server 2003 is faster than XP in everything, graphics, memory managment, HD, really everything. It has a better kernel and is made for speed - servers need speed :) Benchmarks don't lie :P

But don't we slow it down when we follow the guide of converting it to a workstation? It would be interesting to see benchmarks of Server 2003 converted to "XP Like" workstation VS. Server 2003 untouched VS. Xp byitself.

See things this way, Server 2003 is exacly Windows XP but more updated, more secure and with the workstation features turned off. By turning them on, you have a Windows XP Professional but with all the new and cool features from Server 2003 :)

If you search a bit you'll find that all that's needed to transform Server 2003 into a Workstation is registry tweaks, so we don't actually add software nor install files or anything. Just turn on the workstation features :P

But it would be nice to see a definitive benchmark comparing Server 2003 Workstation to XP.

Edited by andregcasal

If you search a bit you'll find that all that's needed to transform Server 2003 into a Workstation is registry tweaks, so we don't actually add software nor install files or anything. Just turn on the workstation features :P

What I mean to say is that we slow down the machine by enabling the themes service, audio service, full video acceleration, etc. All those things use up more ram / resources.