Normal or Manual installation

I do not know if my questions will be dummy or not :huh:

1st of all I would like to mention a thing, which is: I spent a lot of times trying to make unattended cd using switches and run once, but always failed, so I thought about a few things that could let me get the cd I want to have:

1) what is the possibilities of using WPI and add all applications I need and install it normally or manually with no switches at all ;)

2) is it applicable for all applications? or does it differ if it is .exe or .msi

3) shall I creat a folder for each application I would like to install and insert them all under the Install folder under WPI_v4.3.8?

4) after reading the manual, I understand that I'll put the WPI_v4.3.8 folder on the cd root, is it right? if not? what is the right place?

5) I do not want to use the $oem$ folders, shall I use the %cdrom% variable? i.e. when installing MS Office 2003 shall I point to the place like this:

%cdrom%\WPI\Install\Office2003\setup.exe

6) I'd like to use nLite, Xpize, Bashrat driver pack:

-nLite... may I delete the Last Session file from the CD?

-Xpize... what is the perfect time to use it? is it before doing anything or when?

- Bashrat driver pack... what is the perfect time to use it? is it before doing anything or when?

Thanks

if it was discussed before and I missed it in the search

please refer to the link

thanks

I really need it

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by mgadallah

OK Here goes.

#1, You can have WPI just start the programs and manually add in all of the info needed switches are not necessary.

#2. EXE or MSI WPI will run them the same just as if you manually started the program your self.

#3. There is no real benifit to having all of the applications in seperate folders in the install folder. I have all of my installer packages in the install folder and only one subfolder for registry tweaks.

#4. Your cdroot should look something like this:

I386

WPI

---->install

---->graphics

---->common

---->wpiscripts

---->wpi.hta

win51

wpi.ico

#5. Yes

#6. no you do not really need to keep the nLite last session on the disk. Either run XPize to patch your I386 folder or run it after windows is installed through WPI either way works fine. Personally I patch the setup files. I have no clue about the drivers packs I keep them on a seperate CD just for troublesome systems that I have a hard time finding drivers for.

mgadallah,

Kel passes great information! Hope it helps.

One additon:

I do use Bashrat drivers (I typically use Method 2 but have toyed with all options)...I make my call to wpi after Bashrat. It can be invoked via RunOnce, cmdlines.txt, GUIRunOnce...You have to decide at what stage you need it (drivers, apps etc. in the early stages of WinXP install) or if you are just installing programs after the fact, i.e. (RunOnceEX)...Very cool to fit all users needs.

Please PM me or offer more questions up for the forum if you have more concerns, Kel is the expert on this subject but would like to "lighten his load" on these type questions as many of us have "climbed this mountain" before.

Would be happy to provide examples of what I'm using for my setup, less the licensed stuff.

T

mgadallah,

Kel passes great information! Hope it helps.

One additon:

I do use Bashrat drivers (I typically use Method 2 but have toyed with all options)...I make my call to wpi after Bashrat. It can be invoked via RunOnce, cmdlines.txt, GUIRunOnce...You have to decide at what stage you need it (drivers, apps etc. in the early stages of WinXP install) or if you are just installing programs after the fact, i.e. (RunOnceEX)...Very cool to fit all users needs.

Please PM me or offer more questions up for the forum if you have more concerns, Kel is the expert on this subject but would like to "lighten his load" on these type questions as many of us have "climbed this mountain" before.

Would be happy to provide examples of what I'm using for my setup, less the licensed stuff.

T

Thanks