Going from MCE to Pro?

AvsHockey

I have Windows xp MCE and just purchased a copy of xp pro. Can i install pro without losing anything or will that only work if going from pro to pro?

I really want to install pro without having to reformat my harddrive

Thanks!

mce = pro + multimedia kit. Some oem sell their dual core processor with XP MCE to fully support the processor. Windows XP Home doesn't support multi-core, just Hyper-threading.

XP Media Center has done nothing but constantly p*** me off since I installed it. My mouse goes nuts or dies every few hours and my network connections are all screwed up. I've never had these wierd issues on Pro. I could go back to the Longhorn Pro PDC03 build and I'd be happier.

If you want to be absolutely sure you won't have to format or lose anything by installing Pro, I would make sure you have sufficient free space or at least boot the XP OPK and start erasing the Windows directory. Besides that, move all of your stuff out of My Documents directory. The #1 complaint I get from people when backing up their stuff is that they made a bunch of shortcuts to their My Documents directory or they get access denied errors. You need to test your backups. Making a backup means making sure your backups will work.

I never make backups because I don't do my operations on the local drive where the OS is installed. I have a whole seperate drive for that.

hmm, i gave it a try and it said my key was invalid. i checked it several times and it is correct.

It ask for the key right away, did it want the key from the current installed version and will then ask for the new key for the new install later?