New MS Updates

Super-Magician

Two new updates have been released outside Microsoft's normal update schedule (i.e. Patch Tuesday).

The two updates are KB900485-v2 and KB905474.

The latter, KB905474, is Microsoft's new Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications program. These updates are available through Windows Update and Microsoft Update, among others. KB905474, however, is not available from the Download Center.

Question: Are these two updates supported by HFSLIP?

Edited by Super-Magician

I had a look at KB900485-v2 the other day. It doesn't look like there are new files on top of the first version so it should still be supported.

I'll try to find a download link for the WGAN proggie.

Edited by Tomcat76

You can try test release 60426b for the "You are running a legit copy of Windows. The Microsoft Desktop Team thanks you wholehartedly. Please take the time to complete our servey so we can improve our user-friendly customer support even more (no information will be sent to Microsoft). We do listen!" notification... :)

• 1 month later...

otherwise the user gets:

"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows is not genuine and is not eligible to receive all updates and product support from Microsoft."

as logon notification

&

This copy of Windows is not genuine.

You may be the victim of software counterfeiting.

as a desktop banner text

... i've seen this ... not a pretty sight! ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474/

I think it's really a Window Genuine Annoying Notification!

I am running a genuine Windows XP Professional. It comes preinstalled in my hp d530, which was bought brand new (so it's hardly a counterfeit Windows), so i use the OEMBIOS.* activation method. Yet, when I included the latest 905474 script, just for the sake of testing, I got that message that my Windows XP is not genuine during the first boot and halted my RunOnceEx routines. I just clicked Resolve Later, and when the machine restarted I never got the message again... Maybe, it realized that I'm actually running a genuine Windows XP...

I just wished a message popped out saying:

"Sorry, we thought your copy of Windows is not genuine. The Microsoft Desktop Team wholeheartedly apologizes for the inconvenience."

Oh, did I mention it's really a Window Genuine Annoying Notification?

I am not including it again in my HFSLIP installation. I just did so for testing. Besides, it doesn't make any sense because I know and I am sure that my Windows XP is genuine.

And I would like to mention that it's really a Window Genuine Annoying Notification!

I do not believe WGA Notifications applies to Chinese Traditional computers. However, if you would like to find the direct download link, you need to install WGA Notifications on a running Windows XP SP2 Chinese Traditional computer using Windows Update. Then, take a look at the WindowsUpdate.log file in your %systemroot% folder, and search for the string 'KB905474'. You should find the link within the latest entries.

Hope this helps :).

By the way, that link the_guy provided is now out-of-date. The latest WGA Notifications (1.5.0532.0) for Windows XP SP2 English is here.

Edited by Super-Magician

• 1 month later...