Windows 2000 and IE 6 integr.

Lanselot

Hi. It's a first time I'm posting here, so plz be lenient =].

After long time useing nLite I found out that IE 6 upgrd. after Windows 2000 instalation could make some trbls (ex Add and Remove Programs crap, Outlook Ex auto restore). And so that my question is: is there any EASY way to integr IE 6 + hotfixes BEFORE nLite ISO preparations? I've found a little FAQ, such that: http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html, but it seems to be really difficult for me, sorry.

Thx for any helpin' answers =].

Hi :)

Well, to integrate a USP before you run nLite, simply do it manually. Example:

Create a dir C:\TEMP2K and copy the Windows CD to that dir

Create a dir C:\TEMPUSP and place the USP there

Start > Run > C:\TEMPUSP\W2KSP51.EXE -s:C:\TEMP2K

That will update the 2k image in C:\TEMP2K with the USP. Now you should be able to nLite it. (I think)

Another thing: Add/Remove Programs indirectly depends on at least MSHTA.EXE, JSCRIPT.DLL, MSHTML, SP3RES.DLL (for Program Access and Defaults), and Mdac. It's an embedded JavaScript HTML application.

Hope it helps :)

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Another thing: Add/Remove Programs indirectly depends on at least MSHTA.EXE, JSCRIPT.DLL, MSHTML, SP3RES.DLL (for Program Access and Defaults), and Mdac. It's an embedded JavaScript HTML application.

1: so do not remove mdac component with nLite,

2: and in the advanced mode of removal put all of the following files in the "KEEP these files" box...

> MSHTA.EXE,

> JSCRIPT.DLL,

> MSHTML.DLL,

> MSHTML.TLB

> SP3RES.DLL

• 3 months later...

hi guys.

absolutely fantastic work by the sounds of it. just what i need. win 2k fully patched up. lovely. why the hell hasnt ms dont it ages ago.....

just a quick complaint i suppose.

its taken me ages to find the right method of doing the update. i finally arrive here.

i have had a copuple of glasses of wine now, so excuse me if i am being thicker than an irishman eating a whale sandwich....theres probably a "do this" thread somewhere....

i have now trawled through your msg board for over an hour. you just assume that people know what to do with your product. why not have a sticky topic that is "how to use this". 1) download this (the latest version is here, click this...) 2) save here. 3) run this command 4) etc etc etc

would make it a lot easier! its frustrating to know that what you need is just round the corner, and save a few words that would solve everything, its not gonna work...

thanks for your help and all your work, brilliant, really. whats the link fior a donation? i'll give you 40 dollars. this will save me so much time if it works.

this will be great when i figure out how to apply it.

cheers

kev

Edited by 13ollox

@vci should be 6 (if i remember correct - but i nlited my disk so cant check ya, - if you want to know for sure - check the release notes....

on this forum....

@13ollox -

if in fact you whould have spend as mutch as 10minutes with the search option on this page yould have found. many posts about this being a TRUE service pack.

so its possible to A do it with nlte (also has some cute tweaks and un-attended tools you might like.....

or B spend a few mins on google looking for the commandline switches

for slipstreaming a service pack into a windows source disk.....

Goodluck - doing it yourself...

although integrating ie6 is doable, i would advise against it. stick with ie5 and all hotfixes.

not to start a browser war but ie shouldn't be used to browse at all anyway, and if you're not using ie, then ie6 has no core functionality over ie5 anyway.

i'm going to guess that this is one of the reasons gurgelmeyer hadn't done it for so long, because although some folks ask for it, and he obviously has the technical expertise, the truth of the matter is that folks would be no better off with it (then, of course, there is the whole matter of removing ie completely, but that's something entirely different).

Edited by fdv

so true. but sadly enouth there are many websites and more sadly many programmes depending on IE

i do thank the gods that for office-suite is no longer so (as openoffice + odt)

and even MSN (in forms of aMSN) now work great without it. but still.

for now im still so sad that there seam not to be a truely good explorer repacement - (i only wish that reactos's version would finaly get improved)

but all aside - the main isue is that not many website keep to open standards.

• 2 weeks later...
although integrating ie6 is doable, i would advise against it. stick with ie5 and all hotfixes.

not to start a browser war but ie shouldn't be used to browse at all anyway, and if you're not using ie, then ie6 has no core functionality over ie5 anyway.

i'm going to guess that this is one of the reasons gurgelmeyer hadn't done it for so long, because although some folks ask for it, and he obviously has the technical expertise, the truth of the matter is that folks would be no better off with it (then, of course, there is the whole matter of removing ie completely, but that's something entirely different).

You're correct, but I think it is advantageous to have a fully patched IE (and thus IE 6) when you see that the majority of the windows updates are meant to patch IE vulnerabilities.

Removing IE entirely is something I have done already, but there is always that little app that needs some part of IE to function correctly (and yes, I know this is completely not done for any real programmer, but still...)

Zl. (FF user BTW)

• 2 months later...

I would DISAGREE with you on sticking with IE5, fdv! first of all, IE6 is much MORE secure than IE5. second, there are some sites (like the Windows Update site) that DO depend on IE. How do you expect to use the Windows Update site without IE? Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox browsers dont work with WU.

Use IE 5.5 SP2 or IE 6.0 SP1 (and install latest IE 5.5 or IE 6.0 security patch) if anyone is using Win2000 SP4. IE 5 is SO last decade!!!!

BTW - if anyone wants to add "tabbed" browsing to either IE 5.5 SP2 or IE 6 SP1 on a Win2k machine, download and install version 6.3 of the Yahoo! Toolbar. It may not be pretty but that seems to be the way to get Tabbed browsing to older versions of IE. Get it here:

http://toolbar.yahoo.com/