[Misc] Microsoft answer to illegal copies of Windows.

kernelcored

check out the "review date"

Yes, the review date is January 26,2006.

The first wave of this non-genuine notification took place in Norway and Sweden. And as only today the 26 of April, the second wave took place in all five countries stated in the articles i posted earlier which is the US, New Zealand, Britain, Australia and my country, Malaysia.

EDIT : The review date has change to April 26,2006 as we speak.

I'm more concerned about what Microsoft knows about its users

Yup :}

Edited by kernelcored

i think this cant give mr. microsoft much help. because in asia i think more than 50% user r using pirated softwares including microsft windows & they dont want to pay & now turing towards the linux.

& what about the folk who never use internet nor download a single copy of updates & use only the pre hacked versions of windows.

They cant count the accual ammount.

Edited by naughty

You appear to be missing the main point:

The primary purpose is for users, or more likely companies, to be aware that they are using a non-genuine copy of Windows unknowingly - something they bought in good faith from a software vendor.

Those people can then contact Microsoft and the distributors of illegal software, not the end users, are the ones who can be identified and prosecuted.

At the end of the day we know any copy protection system can (and will) be cracked, you can only make it as difficult as possible.

WGA is about letting people know they are using pirated software who were previously unaware of the fact - it is not a copy protection system per se.

The information sent from your machine to Microsoft for product activation is simply a hash of key system components, nothing else - no personal information and nothing that can be gleaned from reversing the hashed data.

If there was any personal data being sent without your knowledge then you can bet someone would have found (and jumped all over it) by now - look at how quickly Zone Labs got slammed when it transpired opting out of automatic update checks did not stop Zone Alarm communicating with the manufacturer, due to a bug.

It must be nice that Mr. Gates and friends need to keep, runing the small computer builders like me. Every time i build a machine i haft to add almost 300 dollars to the machine to by Windows. And for me hen i upgrade i can only upgrade so many times then i need to spend another 300 dollars for a new version. IT JUST MAKES ME MAD.

I don't use Windows Update, so can't get the "Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application" that is being discussed. I'd like to get a copy to test on my machine. Is there anyone who can provide a direct link to it? Thanks!