Restore Server 2003

Vinusa

Hi every body

I had installed Windows XP Pro in Partation 1 and I installed Server 2003 Standard in another partation I do not remember.

Because of lack of space in my hard drive I decided to buckup the partation contains server 2003 with snapshot.exe in my external hard drive and deleted the partation.

Yesterday I decided to restore the server 2003 backup to one of partation I have, after successfull restoration, I open boot loader through my XP Pro and change the partation like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect

Partation 5 is where I have restored the server.

I restarted the computer, selected the server 2003 from boot menu and enter, no message just computer restart.

Thanks for your help.

You can not restore something that was on secondary partition, onto primary active partition and expecti it to work. Lest say that you have a disk as follows:

| Diagnostic | Primary, Active | Secondary

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

| EISA part. 48 MB | Windows Server 2003 | Windows XP |

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Now you can NOT restore Windows XP back to primary partition and boot it ... same happens if you've made backup using Symantec Ghost, Acronis TI, Snapshot ... you can restore original backups only to their respective target partitions ... even if you remove EISA partition from the above example, and restore Windows Server 2003 instead, it will not work, the partitions MUST be same as at the time of backup ... same apply for difference between IDE and SATA disks ...

Edited by klasika