Future versions of Firefox on Windows 98

ivanbuto

Would be great if we got a project going keeping alive Firefox on Windows 98.

I can understand why Mozilla would want to drop Win9x support from FF3 but it might be for the best anyway. As windows 98 users we hate bloat (Am I right! :thumbup ) and the last thing we need is a bloated browser.

So maybe if we could keep Firefox 2 going, with the Gecko 1.9 engine, we could have a standards compliant browser with less bloat and features we don't need.

Just a thought :whistle:

So maybe if we could keep Firefox 2 going, with the Gecko 1.9 engine, we could have a standards compliant browser with less bloat and features we don't need.

Just a thought :whistle:

Before people start posting in this thread, they should perhaps actually read through it and take a few minutes to look at some information.

Firefox 2 is NOT based on Gecko 1.9, it's based on a 1.8 branch.

In order for Windows 98 to be able to run anything that's based on 1.9, it will require some coding work to substitute for missing APIs.

For more recent discussions about these issues, see also the following:

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=8887

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archiv...me_support.html

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archiv...ox_2_updat.html

Sorry I should have been more specific. Prior to my last post I had just spent some time reading Mozillazine and Forums.

The official Firefox 2 will be based on Gecko 1.8. And WILL run on Windows 98/me systems.

But..... what I was getting at was, maybe it would be better to start a Win9x project on keeping Firefox 2 alive (after mozilla launch Firefox 3) into the future for Win9x rather than 3.

They are asking for volunteers to make a Win9x branch for Firefox 3, but I think I'd rather we try and port Gecko 1.9 and all security fixes into a special Firefox 2 realease as it will have less bloatware (features we don't need).

Thoughts?

Hello!

Here is another recent thread at "Hacking for Christ" by Gervase Markham*

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archiv...he_late_98.html

So no-one really knows what's going to happen post-7/11. But one thing's for certain; as time goes on and more vulnerabilities are discovered, defenceless users of 98 and ME are going to be at greater and greater risk.

So what can Windows 98 users do? Microsoft's advice is unequivocal – upgrade. I'd agree - join the 21st century and get a better operating system. They'd recommend Windows XP; I'd recommend the newly-released Ubuntu Linux 6.06, which is easier to install, easier to use, more secure, and comes with thousands of pounds worth of free software. (Can you still find your Office installation disks? Didn't think so.)

If you must stick with Windows 98, at least install a firewall and get Firefox. But don't say I didn't warn you.

* Gervase Markham works for the Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting choice and innovation on the internet. His blog is Hacking for Christ.

And BTW, here is a thread about Opera and Win9X support:

http://groups.google.com/group/opera.beta/...bac469e3d2cd2f/

Nice discussion. Gerv will of course not get his wish (dropping Win9x

support in FF2)> But everyone in that thread seems to be sure that FF3

does not need to support the old systems, which is also the official plan

now. That means Opera (9) will be and stay the only Acid2-test-passing

browser for those systems. I wonder how many people will feel forced to

migrate to XP or later now that MicroSoft stops the support for Win9x

completely - I think not that many, because they hardly ever need that

support anyway.

Roman

Edited by modicr

Because of this wholr issue, I re-gave Opera 8.5 a chance.

Didn't last long. Went back to Firefox.

But what good timing, Opera 9 has been launched. And it runs **** fine on Windows 9x systems :D

Successfull companies go to great measures to retain marketshare. Mozilla better becareful. The competitors are lurking in the shadows ready to snap up the unwanted.

• 3 weeks later...
The official Firefox 2 will be based on Gecko 1.8. And WILL run on Windows 98/me systems.

But..... what I was getting at was, maybe it would be better to start a Win9x project on keeping Firefox 2 alive (after mozilla launch Firefox 3) into the future for Win9x rather than 3.

They are asking for volunteers to make a Win9x branch for Firefox 3, but I think I'd rather we try and port Gecko 1.9 and all security fixes into a special Firefox 2 realease as it will have less bloatware (features we don't need).

Thoughts?

Actually galahs, Firefox 2.0 will be based on Gecko version 1.81, NOT 1.8.

Beta 1 of FF 2.0 is mentioned here:

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=10874

Let Firefox 3.0 be a native Windows NT application for superior performance. I wish Firefox 1.0 were that way.

Good joke! :thumbup

But if you repeat the same joke too often it is not soo good. :wacko:

Edited by Petr

Let Firefox 3.0 be a native Windows NT application for superior performance. I wish Firefox 1.0 were that way.

Good joke! :thumbup

But if you repeat the same joke too often it is not soo good. :wacko:

Its not a joke. It is reality. I sure hope Firefox 3.0 won't work on Windows 98/ME. Heck, I hope Firefox 2.0 won't work with Windows 98/ME.

Link21:

We have tolerated you way too long in these forums.

If you don't have anything contructive or useful to say, please refrain from hateful and flaming postings.

We already got the point you don't like Win9x OSes, but we don't care to see your hateful posts all over the place, every single day.

Next time I'll ask the mods to ban you from MSFN forums, and I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't like your inappropriate behaviour.

Thanks for listening.

I really hope you learn and grow up.

Link21:

If you don't have anything contructive or useful to say, please refrain from hateful and flaming postings.

We already got the point you don't like Win9x OSes, but we don't care to see your hateful posts all over the place, every single day.

Next time I'll ask the mods to ban you from MSFN forums, and I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't like your inappropriate behaviour.

Thanks for listening.

x2

Link21:

Thanks for listening.

x3

I don't even use FireFox, but you 9x-haters get out! :realmad:

Edited by LLXX