Build 5.1.2195 Released - Download Now

war59312

I did notice that update KB832414 for MSXML 2.5 (msxml.dll 8.0.7002.0) is not included.

The KB832414 update for MSXML 2.5 is obsolete, Inki and XML 2.5 is buggy. Anyway, KB832414 is replaced by KB887606. Upgrade to MSXML 2.6 which fixes problems with XML 2.5 and then apply the KB887606 update for XML 2.6.

MSXML.DLL version 8.0.7002 is included in Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP1.

Edited by erpdude8

KB832414 has been totally changed from its original appearance. It no longer has a download link to this update but points on to KB887606 which only covers later versions of MSXML.

Here's the Microsoft Download Center link to MSXML 2.5 KB832414 hotfix (which still works):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your information on KB832414.

The question I had in mind but failed to spell out is: Since W2k contains MSXML 2.5/msxml.dll by default, is it better to

- leave it as it is, or

- upgrade it to the latest version 8.0.7002 with KB832414?

My uninformed guess is that with later versions of MSXML (2.6/msxml2.dll, 3.0/msxml3.dll, etc.) installed it probably does not matter very much. Like erpdude8 said above, later versions fix problems with 2.5, and I guess they take care of most of the business anyway. (I do have them on my system.)

Still, based on what I have understood I would choose to also upgrade the msxml.dll file, because:

- New versions of MSXML after 2.5 do not replace files for older versions, there may be some parallel functioning (?)

- One would (naïvely, perhaps) expect the newer msxml.dll file to be less buggy, just in case if it might be used.

- Microsoft in its grand wisdom has decided to include the upgraded msxml.dll file in XPSP2 and 2003SP1.

- It satisfies my personal desire for completeness :rolleyes: .

So you can also read my post as a humble between-the-lines suggestion that maybe there might be a case for including KB832414 for MSXML 2.5 in the Unofficial Service Pack. Of course, this might be a bad idea, but I would not know, as my reasoning is no better informed than what you can read above :blushing: .

Edited by Inki

I only have a CD where I had integrated SP4 using Nlite. I want to add USP 5.1. Can I do that or do I need to still have a virgin Windows 2k CD? Also is there anyway to edit the registry in Nlite so I can load progman or another shell as my default desktop?

I only have a CD where I had integrated SP4 using Nlite. I want to add USP 5.1. Can I do that or do I need to still have a virgin Windows 2k CD? Also is there anyway to edit the registry in Nlite so I can load progman or another shell as my default desktop?

I tried to Nlite an Nlited source and ttried to slipstream from an Nlited source - they both failed to

make anything useable. Never tried to USP an Nlited source.

As for changing shells.. example: single user change

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinShellEx]

"Default"="GeoShell"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinShellEx\GeoShell]

"Start"="c:\\geotest\\GeoShell.exe"

For all users:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"Shell"="LiteStep.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"Shell"="c:\\litestep\\LiteStep.exe"

etc etc. exact steps will be explained in docs for your new shell.

you should do that from $oem$\cmdlines.txt

just start a batch file and reg merge tweaks.reg or regedit /s regtweaks.reg

but id recomand doing it asap in your install and dont wait for runonceEx and the shell is than alread loaded (partly)

yes there wil be (eventualy) it will most likely be the next release (that at least also will contain MDAC and DirectX9 and .NET (if at all posible).

BTW - Q @ gurgle, do you still think NET is slipstreamable

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft is committed to Win2k until 2010. Microsoft does release an ISO of their own for security updates.

Many critical patches released June 13

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-jun.mspx

Can we please have new iso updated to june patches?

I have never seen so many patches in one month, does it mean microsoft is stopping their patches of win2k soon?

Microsoft does release an ISO of their own for security updates.

A that is only contains the hotfixes (not the windows slipstreamed source)

B that is only avail for users with a SA licence

C it will in most cases not contain Case-Specific Fixes

what he means is if we get a new SP5 release and the answer is ...........

(i hope so :P)

Dirtwarrior is saying no. That he e-mailed gurglemeyer and he had a relapse of some kind. The future of USP 5 looks bleak.

Microsoft does release an ISO of their own for security updates.

A that is only contains the hotfixes (not the windows slipstreamed source)

B that is only avail for users with a SA licence

C it will in most cases not contain Case-Specific Fixes

what he means is if we get a new SP5 release and the answer is ...........

(i hope so :P)