XP PRO UPGRADE and WIN 98,Can you make unattended install

In making an unattended XPCD, is there a way or workaround to avoid the user input of a Windows 98 cd for the installation to continue? That's my situation. I have XP PRO Upgrade and I have Win98 full. I haven't been able to find a thread relating to this.

Hm.. good question, I too compile the Upgrade CD's but for the life of me I can't remember if it asks for the CD or not (actually I think it doesn't if it is not a clean drive, but not sure).

Ok, I see we have others who are interested in this as well. Would this work, if I copied the file(s) that the upgrade process looks for into the DVD and\or if I copied them from DVD to c:\windows at the very beginning of the setup process??? Any ideas?

Ok, I see we have others who are interested in this as well. Would this work, if I copied the file(s) that the upgrade process looks for into the DVD and\or if I copied them from DVD to c:\windows at the very beginning of the setup process??? Any ideas?

Paradox Me, you have no harm in trying. Only WIN9XUPG in the i386 directory would need to be kept because your upgrading from 98 correct? .......

Vmware will help your worries, just try things. You have nothing to loose alough I have never come accross a 98 unattended upgrade installation before. Good luck

Vmware will help your worries, just try things. You have nothing to loose alough I have never come accross a 98 unattended upgrade installation before. Good luck

Hmm, interesting. Never? When I first came across the Unattended guide and followed the instructions, for some reason it did not ask me to put the Win98 Cd in to be verified. I can't figure the reason out. I would like to know what does XP setup look for in order to satisfy the upgrade requirement. Someone else had the same idea:

http://msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=34&t=72193

I would like to know what does XP setup look for in order to satisfy the upgrade requirement.

To follow up, setup does indeed ask for the Windows 98 CD to verify that there is a qualifying product. Does anyone know what files XP Upgrade looks for on the 98 CD or on the hard drive if it is not a clean install?? There HAS to be a workaround!

Edited by Paradox Me

I made an iso with my whole win98 cd and my whole xp home upgrade cd and tested it in vmware, but it still asked me to switch discs! Maybe it has something to do with the disc label?

Edited by T D

Maybe they all have full version XP and really don't care. :(

But form that link you gave it seems as though home users are left to fend for themselves. It seems like the unattended install was meant for IT people that have to do a task hundreds or thousands of times. (not too much different than home users in some cases ;) )

Edited by Paradox Me

as you can see from this link http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=70&t=32267

i have been looking for a solution for this for ages. no one knows here it seems.

Well I found a solution, because I had the same Problem. But I don't know if it will work for you and if I am allowed to post it because you have to change the setupp.ini file.

I would like to know this as well, i have XP Home upgrade and win95

you can email me if you don't want to post it

zach at collegegeek dot org

Well I don’t know if it will also work for XP Home, but for my XP Prof Update I only have to change the ExtraData in the Setupp.ini and of course you can also change the Pid Number too... Interesting is that if you only change the Pid it still asks you for a CD.

Hope it works for you, too ;)