[UPDATED 14/9/06] 7zip custom icons

bledd

i'm busy moving house this week, and my next operation is october 1st, but i'll look into your problem before that, please bear with me :)

with tux's guidance, i've made a new 7zip installer for myself, but the one i made removes all txt files, the help files and the some of the formats that 7zip supports, so i can't release that as i'm sure it'll contradict the open licence or similar, i know little about licencing, the author of 7zip has asked me to include a GNU (i think it was GNU) message with my release, really don't know what that means tho!)

need to read up on that before i do my next release

i'm busy moving house this week, and my next operation is october 1st, but i'll look into your problem before that, please bear with me :)

Busy here too. ;)

with tux's guidance, i've made a new 7zip installer for myself, but the one i made removes all txt files, the help files and the some of the formats that 7zip supports, so i can't release that as i'm sure it'll contradict the open licence or similar, i know little about licencing, the author of 7zip has asked me to include a GNU (i think it was GNU) message with my release, really don't know what that means tho!)

need to read up on that before i do my next release

Licences are really hard to choose.

You should maybe take a look at Creative Commons (and ask Igor Pavlov if 7-Zip and therefore your icons can be used in commercial apps).

GNU is not a licence. :D

GPL is, LGPL too. 7z is licensed under LGPL (with slight modifications I think). All you need is a *compatible* licence, not the same.

But take your time and chooose carefully. ;)

Afaik, context menu is done with

!ifdef WIN64
ExecWait 'regsvr32 /s "$INSTDIR\7-zip.dll"'
!endif

This is a shell extension so I'm not sure you can add something in this context menu by using the registry.

However you should be able to edit 7zip, recompile it and get that (should be pretty easy since everything is already written but I don't really know).

Could you try to install this at T-12 instead of T-13 ?

And how do you see it doesn't install ?

There's no 7-Zip directory or ... ?

And for the rest, I can't really tell you : I don't have much time ATM. :/

I don't see much difference between T-12 and T-13. It's only that I install it at T-12 and as far as I remember, it works.

And if you use the the installer I linked to a few post earlier, you won't get that "runtime error 13" since it comes from a file that is no present in it. :?

uhmm wanted to try this now but uhmm sorry stupid question perhaps but are you referring (in the first quote) to a new installer (where is the link)? or should I extract the created installer and start it with the code you provide?

Edited by ZileXa

Yes I thought you meant that one.

I tested that installer. I started 7z File Manager, closed it again.. checked a few zip and 7z files, no icon.

Started FM again, this time changing the options of context menu, closed FM and I had the nice icons (perhaps takes a longer time, and just starting FM and closing it is enough, OR you need to edit someting in the settings before changes take effect).

So the icons is OK. But there is a strange other bug, also in the installer/creator from the first post.. I didn't even notice it before:

File Manager appears in my own language (Dutch), the context menu does not! it's in English (even after rebooting etc.)! How come? Using the official installer I always get Dutch context menu.

btw if your too busy don't bother to reply, take your time :)

EDIT:

Ohh and when I run this regtweak after the installer, I do get the contextmenu I want (unfortunately still in English):

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-602162358-1606980848-1202660629-1005\Software\7-Zip\Options]
"CascadedMenu"=dword:00000001
"ContextMenu"=dword:00000327

So that is the prove the contextmenu items can be changed with a regtweak. Note this is a user-specific tweak, I posted the general tweak few posts back.

This tweak removes "test archive" and adds Extract to "blabla\" etc. like I said a few posts back.

Edited by ZileXa

[uPDATED 21/7/06]

you'll be left with a 7zSetup.exe file that is a switchless installer , double click it to install :) -i install mine from the $OEM$ folders

this is the -i I'm talking about, the one after the smiley face,

humm but I feel that you will reply with that it was an extra letter :unsure:

yeah i've been wanting to for a while

i've moved into new flat, and today my desk arrived, so i can see the screen properly

will soon add a b icon, think i'm going to trash the repackaged installer thing and just have the to run

if you download normal 7zip, and my pack, then just double click the 'icons' file and it'll patch your installed 7zip..

if you were talking to me i did that but i get an error stating i can only export reg scripts or something like that. i wanted to know can the reg file that come with the theme file be made win98se compatible. thanks again...

edit:

i did what u said and it worked once i cleared icon cache. thanks.

Edited by geo411m