[UPDATED 14/9/06] 7zip custom icons

bledd

hi, after using ur installer, every 7z-icon showed fine, except .iso, the .iso has no NO icon anymore?!

maybe another program is defaulting it

what happens when you double click on the iso? -if 7zip opens, then the icon should be working

go into explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types, type iso, go to advanced, and see what icon its trying to use.. point it at %programfiles%\7-zip\Formats\iso.dll

Your installer doesn't work for me...

when I execute the created 7zSetup.exe, it seems it is getting extracted (the files do appear in program files\7-zip) but then I get this error:

7ziperrorkt7.png

I am using Dutch WinXP SP2... antivirus terminated, all background apps terminated...

Also, when installing at T13... it doesn't install at all... (not even a warning).

Edited by ZileXa

hi,

no, no other program defaults it. just seen that not just .iso was missing, even all other, too. clicking on the .iso or sth opens 7zip.

after re-defaulting it in 7z options, your pack activates fine.

7zip only associates with files when it runs. Here is what the installer does in the registry:

# store install folder
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\7-Zip" "Path" $INSTDIR
WriteRegStr HKCU "Software\7-Zip" "Path" $INSTDIR

# write reg entries
WriteRegStr HKCR "CLSID\${CLSID_CONTEXT_MENU}" "" "7-Zip Shell Extension"
WriteRegStr HKCR "CLSID\${CLSID_CONTEXT_MENU}\InprocServer32" "" "$INSTDIR\7-zip.dll"
WriteRegStr HKCR "CLSID\${CLSID_CONTEXT_MENU}\InprocServer32" "ThreadingModel" "Apartment"

WriteRegStr HKCR "*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\7-Zip" "" "${CLSID_CONTEXT_MENU}"
WriteRegStr HKCR "Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\7-Zip" "" "${CLSID_CONTEXT_MENU}"
; WriteRegStr HKCR "Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\7-Zip" "" "${CLSID_CONTEXT_MENU}"

WriteRegStr HKCR "Directory\shellex\DragDropHandlers\7-Zip" "" "${CLSID_CONTEXT_MENU}"
WriteRegStr HKCR "Drive\shellex\DragDropHandlers\7-Zip" "" "${CLSID_CONTEXT_MENU}"

WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved" "${CLSID_CONTEXT_MENU}" "7-Zip Shell Extension"

WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\7zFM.exe" "" "$INSTDIR\7zFM.exe"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\7zFM.exe" "Path" "$INSTDIR"

# create uninstaller
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\7-Zip" "DisplayName" "${NAME_FULL}"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\7-Zip" "UninstallString" '"$INSTDIR\Uninstall.exe"'
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\7-Zip" "NoModify" 1
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\7-Zip" "NoRepair" 1
WriteUninstaller $INSTDIR\Uninstall.exe

Edited by Camarade_Tux

this will soon be changed to two packages, one totally new installer (kind of a patched 7zip installer) and a patcher only (for current 7zip installs)

got a few things to sort out at home first

7zip 4.42 with bledd's icons : http://bleddyn.co.uk/tux/7z442.exe :)

As far as I see everything has been patched correctly.

Consider this as a RC version.

You can install it just like any "official" 7zip version since it's not really different from any of them.

Icons won't appear until 7zip is ran once. This is a 7zip limitation. I'll see if I can help changing that easily (I have an AHK script that can do that but I don't know if I can use NSIS the same way)

Can do 7z 4.43 alpha3 and 7zip 4.42 english only too.

it worked for me (on dutch windows) in VirtualPC, only installing my nLited Windows.

btw I have a regtweak you might want to add to the installer! It will add "Extract to [name of file]" and "Add to [name of file].7z" to the context menu + it will remove "Test archive" from the context menu.

;7zip set language to Dutch and set contextmenu
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7-Zip\Software\7-Zip]
"Lang"="nl"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7-Zip\Software\7-Zip\Options]
"CascadedMenu"=dword:00000001
"ContextMenu"=dword:00000327

As you can see it uses a DWORD value that tells 7zip wich items should be in the menu, for exampe 00000324 would perhaps remove "Extract here" (just an example)

The 2 things it adds I use them very much.. don't use the test that much so to keep the context menu clean I remove it... took me a bit of puzzling because Regshot normally produced a lot of changes but I figured out how to make sure it only showed me the ones I needed :)

Also I am planning to edit the 7zip part of the context menu even further, moving "Create ISO image" from the right click context menu to 7zip part of the context menu, this way my rightclick context menu will be cleaner.

There will be a line (seperator) and then "Create ISO image". Don't know if the line is possible though.

Edited by ZileXa

Afaik, context menu is done with

!ifdef WIN64
ExecWait 'regsvr32 /s "$INSTDIR\7-zip.dll"'
!endif

This is a shell extension so I'm not sure you can add something in this context menu by using the registry.

However you should be able to edit 7zip, recompile it and get that (should be pretty easy since everything is already written but I don't really know).

Could you try to install this at T-12 instead of T-13 ?

And how do you see it doesn't install ?

There's no 7-Zip directory or ... ?

And for the rest, I can't really tell you : I don't have much time ATM. :/

I use RunOnceEx at T13, when the 7zip should install, it holds for short sec and moves over to next item. When I check later, there is no folder in Program Files.

When I install after first boot, it does install 7zip but I've got the runtime error 13 I mentioned earlier a few times...

After Wednesday I'll test.. have more time then :)

BTW is there a difference for installations between T12 and T13?

Edited by ZileXa

I don't see much difference between T-12 and T-13. It's only that I install it at T-12 and as far as I remember, it works.

And if you use the the installer I linked to a few post earlier, you won't get that "runtime error 13" since it comes from a file that is no present in it. :?