Windows XP "Windows Cannot Change Password"

mcallisb

Hi Guys,

I've never seen anything quite like this before. On a Laptop running Windows XP Pro a client is trying to change their adminstrative password. There are two very easy ways of doing this ... using the User Account information in the Control Panel or by logging in, pressing CTRL ALT DEL -> Change Password.

Using either of these methods we get an error "Windows Cannot Change Password" ... most unusual. I tried to change the password under computer management using "Set Password" but changing the password in that way leads to stability issues and I couldn't risk the crash.

Anybody, have any thoughts?

Ben

If you right click on My computer and go to manage under local users and groups find the user, right click, properties and is the box user cannot change password checked?

Edited by Mini123

I tried to change the password under computer management using "Set Password" but changing the password in that way leads to stability issues and I couldn't risk the crash.

Changing the Admin password shouldn't cause any stability issues at all. The only reason this would happen is if some service or scheduled task is set to run with the local Admin account. In this case you would have to update the password for those items after you change the password.

If the option Mini124 mentioned is indeed checked then it's likely there is something set that runs as the local Admin account.

It's a "best practice" to both rename and set a password on the built-in Admin account.

how about this?

In cmd mode, type "control userpasswords2", then click enter. In the panel pops up, select the user you intend to revise and reset its pwd.

OR

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Settings, and find out if any restriction made to the admin pwd, do necessary updates and try to change pwd again.

I have a similar problem with a pc that has winxp and sp2 installed as a slipstream

the admin user not the administrator account is unable to change its own password.

I have tried removing the password but after some time interval the account is

inaccesbile with a pop up message password must be changed but upon trying to

change the password, it say that the user is not authorized.

To get around it I have to reboot in safe mode and remove the password or change it

there. Although I havent tried it yet, I am guessing that the problem is related to the

pc not have dotnet installed so once I get a chance will give that a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm also having this error. In my case, although I get the error, the password is actually set =\. Any way to fix it? It happens to all my accounts =(. Thanks.