Program files/docs and settings folder change

Reign

I am about to install my WinXP x64 but a few paths must be changed first. I'm looking to have my windows folder all by itself on my c: partition, and have documents and settings and program files on my d: partitions.

I have three questions:

1. As far as I understand, the options tab in nlite corresponds to winnt.sif changes, and I do not see an option for the program files dirs so I have to resort to making a custom winnt.sif. Now, my question is, is there any other folders besides Documents and Settings, Program Files, and Program Files (x86) on the windows drive? Are there any other temp variables that must be changed so that windows remains the only folder on the c: partition?

2. My next question is, what exactly are the variables for the path to program files (x86) and common program files (x86) ? I've seen this syntax:

programfilesdir(x86)

commonprogramfilesdir(x86)

in another thread but someone had problems using it. Does anyone know for certain the variables?

3. Lastly, would it cause problems for me to direct program files (x86) to the normal program files directory? It would be convenient to simply have them all in one place but if the folders are not simply to distinguish between which programs are x64 compatible than I won't bother.

Thanks alot in advance for any help.

sure nlite can change the progdir...open ur eyes O_O (unatteded tab )

if u like the manual way i already posted anywhere the entries for .sif and a registry fix

about ur 3rd question

no that should be not a problem, but u cant do this with nlite (only with modification by changin the path in winnt.sif AND nlite.inf or nlhive.inf)

Edited by Weed

• 2 weeks later...

IF you are saying you want to have PF & DS and any other folders on DIFFERENT volume then your

Windows folder, setup as default/standard from within the Windows Installation Image,

then you must be aware of the primary partition setup that the "bluemode" text setup routine uses.

If you have f.ex 2 drives like this :

Harddrive 1:

c:\ <- Primary

d:\ <- logical

e:\ <- primary

Harddrive 2:

S:\ <- Primary

then when you are in textsetup, then S:\ will be seen as D:\, e:\ as E, and D:\ as f:\.

At least the logical partiton will be,should be,least prioritized in the "logical" volume letter setup.

S:\ would anyway become D:\.

Unless of course the Harddrive 2 was on a separate controller and f.ex the cd-rom drive was on the same,

or at least higher ranked controller then Harddrive 2. Hope you get the picture.

I don't know or have heard of such a thing as to have any other routine/setup for this.

As to how this is possible, yes it is.Have I done it? More then I care to count ;)

Let's kill this Pf(x86) issue right away.

You must have Program files folder that is for 64bit and the x64 equivalent for the 32bit variant.

However, if you are installing any app at all that don't have both, you may install it where ever you like.

The problem is, that in theory, in todays program INSTALLERs, there is NO actual support for this.

I haven't seen any program that do. That is, a program installer that raises the questions:

Where do you want the 32 bit files installed and where should the x64 variant go?

It just asks where do you want your program to be installed...

However, if you are willing to walk on the wild side, it is in quite possible to remove all 32bit files

from windows xp 64 bit. But know, you will have your work cut out for you. And program support

would be small, since there would be no such thing as 32bit support longer on the system.

In current state the 1.0rc7 (i always forget if its 1.0rc7 or 1.07rc..)

does allow for the program files and program files(x86) to be changed.

But, i have found it to not truly be fully correct, as have others.

In my case, i rapped up all .cab files (*.*_ files <-)) and made necessary changes

to my chosen pf and pf(x86), which might as well be p1 and p2 for that matter.

Nlite has gone a long way with 32bit, is my overrall perception, but is not quite there yet with x64bit.

But it's going very well imho.

your variables are correct, though u need to cut the (x86) part for the normal x64bit program files/common files folder.

You could, as hinted, name the paths to be almost anything.

Anything is possible, with enough time and effort. Not to mention dedication.

• 4 weeks later...