Boot Delay in Windows 2K

Copy ntldr and ntdetect from 2k3 for even a more noticable improvment over the ones from xp. I am going to work on the other boot delays. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Like you were saying maybe more files from xp or 2k3 will help.

BTW those 2 files can be put into the source before the cd is made and will be used when you install the OS :)

ntldr/detect helps some, but another thing to try is 'blindingly obvious' (which is why you don't see it)

Try static IPs, disable DHCP service.

I really see no need for DHCP on small networks unless you have more computers than fingers. In fact I sometimes find it helpful to know what # goes with what device instead of a random .xxx suffix. Though static DHCP does take care of that...why bother with DHCP at all for simple lans?

I use statics on my lan as another barrier to access, not only do they have to get through wpa2 or own my router from the outside, they have to spoof one of my used ips to access my local ftp etc. If I'm there when this happens, theres a good chance I'll notice the problem when the spoofed box complains. (FYI: I don't use windows filesharing/workgroups at all, probably another reason I boot fast)

Its not foolproof but its better than all my stupid neighbors with no crypto (still 3 of them in good range, probably a dozen if I got real antennas) or stupid year old 40bit wep keys I already cracked a few months ago for fun. (8 of those)

Also try setting DNS client to manual, which you should do anyways to avoid a bug with hosts files. (assuming you use large hosts files to null out large tracts of the internet like I do)

Edited by Aluminum

Filesharing doesn't need dynamic IPs/DHCP at all, any computer can still have a computer/workgroup name.

The whole point of computer names and workgroups is because they are easy to remember, but if you can count to ten thats the easiest IMO. (and has the side effect of booting faster) The KISS principle for home lans always wins ;)

Plus when windows decides today is the day to break, theres the last resort of ping X.X.X.static# to eliminate the obvious stuff like 'is the cable unplugged?'. Also nothing will stop you from connecting via IP: \\X.X.X.static#\sharename

If you think Win2K is slow at booting up because of the networking then you should install it on an Athlon64 X2 and set it up as "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" (preferably by pressing F5 during Windows setup)...

• 4 weeks later...