Sempron 64bit

3aces

is there anyway i can underclock the processor, it is used like a server system and is connected to my big tv downstiars and i only want it to use as much power as neccesary

Edited by POW!!

so let me get this right, you want to decrease the performance of your pc ? This may sound silly but why didnt you just buy a lower spec processor in the first place and use the extra cash you saved for the electricity bill.

is there anyway i can underclock the processor, it is used like a server system and is connected to my big tv downstiars and i only want it to use as much power as neccesary

Just run loads and loads of software in the backgrgound that'll decrease performance quite quickly :whistle:

Actually, you guys missed the point a bit. There are LOTS of reasons to underclock a processor, and many of them are not stupid AT ALL.

To wit:

Generate less heat, which in turn allows you to use lower fan RPMs or even dispense with a fan altogether!

This not only reduces power consumption, but also noise. It also reduces the number of moving parts which can cause system failure. I remember running a small network server for a friend's family - it was a Frankenbox performing low-end NAT and firewalling functions. It was one of the last of the true Cyrix clone CPUs before VIA bought the carcass. It was designed to run at 166MHz, but when its fan broke down, I unscrewed the fan motor assembly from the heat sink block, cleaned it out with high pressure air canister, and underclocked it to 133Mhz or so. It ran within its temperature margins without a fan!

Modern CPUs are so ridiculously overpowered (speed-wise), there are alot of "low heat" models which can probably run without active cooling when underclocked. The Durons, Semprons, Pentium-Ms, and even some generations of P4s run pretty cool for their computational power. When sufficiently underclocked, they may not need any active cooling at all!

Try not snigger too loudly when you hear someone asking a question like this, because chances are they're onto something you just haven't properly considered.

Yours in Red Lectroid Domination,

John Bigbooté

Ive read through everything and i kinda explained it wrong, i have no problem leaving it as it is.. but its always on, doesnt genarate to much heat, its using a Zalamn 7700 cu, i also have an exhaust fan as well so its stays cool, like i said before this is hooked up to my Tv downstairs and i just watch films of it and things like that pictures mp3's that sort of thing.. it doesnt require much proceesor power to send these over the wireless connection, so if i underclock it, would just be more effiencent... but what im gettin at alos is if the power is required it will automatically go to its stanard clock speed... a lil like my dell laptop it has a 3.2 ghz p4 processor init but maximum it runs at is 2.6ghz coz it never needed all the power!!

hopefully that makes more sense

edit: i was just playing around with my bios settings and discovered something wierd maybe its me or .... if you look on the image below it shows my core voltage as 2.8v but in the bios it says 1.4

any ideas any one

Edited by POW!!

but what im gettin at alos is if the power is required it will automatically go to its stanard clock speed... a lil like my dell laptop it has a 3.2 ghz p4 processor init but maximum it runs at is 2.6ghz coz it never needed all the power!!

I don't believe AMD CPUs support this feature...and the only Intel CPUs that do are the P4-M, the P-M and probably Core Duo (haven't had the chance to check one of them yet).

I would just leave it at the default clock speed. You never know when you may want to tap into that extra power at some point...and having to reboot just to do that would be a pain in the rear...

Download and install the cool'n'quiet driver from amd. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...1_11686,00.html

AMD Sempron™ Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2. - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Sempron processor on Windows 32 bit OS.
Edited by jago_lfn

but what im gettin at alos is if the power is required it will automatically go to its stanard clock speed... a lil like my dell laptop it has a 3.2 ghz p4 processor init but maximum it runs at is 2.6ghz coz it never needed all the power!!

I don't believe AMD CPUs support this feature...and the only Intel CPUs that do are the P4-M, the P-M and probably Core Duo (haven't had the chance to check one of them yet).

I would just leave it at the default clock speed. You never know when you may want to tap into that extra power at some point...and having to reboot just to do that would be a pain in the rear...

o right im sure i read somewere amd have there version of "speedstep"

Download and install the cool'n'quiet driver from amd. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...1_11686,00.html

AMD Sempron™ Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2. - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Sempron processor on Windows 32 bit OS.

i already have this installed from an article i read somewere but i cant see on how to get it to work, it just seems to be a driver of some sort, i cant find any additional software which was installed!!!

Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need
You don't need to adjust it, it's automatic.

Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need
You don't need to adjust it, it's automatic.

ahhh thats makes sense is there any way i can view its settings

I'm using speedswitchXP on my laptop which has an AMD Turion processor. The speed of the CPU is 1.8GHz but with that tool I keep it at 800MHz. You can try it, maybe it works for you too.

ok ill try it and post back in a while

edit: i tryed it it doesnt seem to affect it at all, maybe it does only just work with notebooks

Edited by POW!!