Including nLite Driver CABs

mystek

If you want to add or replace files in DRIVER.CAB/SP*.CAB you can always use the HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB folder. I introduced this some time ago but to my knowledge nobody took advantage of it yet. Experiment with it if you like. It only works with merging options A, B or C.

Edited by Tomcat76

Searched for info on the HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB folder. Couldn't find any? Do you have a link?

OK, this link http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...02&hl=DRIVERCAB

Oleg II recommends creating a HFDRV folder in HFSLIP directory to add your drivers there.

one of your posts:

Added DRIVERCAB feature. This is intended to replace existing files in the DRIVER.CAB file. Create the folder DRIVERCAB inside HFEXPERT and place your files in there. This only works with merging options A, B and C. Files in SP*.CAB and newer driver binaries are also replaced.

here you say this is to replace existing files? I am confused, which method do I start with?

Edited by mystek

You can add new files too with HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB. It's not limited to overwriting existing files.

But if files need to be modded you're on your own; I just provided a way to add/replace files into DRIVER.CAB.

Edited by Tomcat76

OK, I am going to try to extract the Driver.CAB from nLite that includes the drivers for my Alienware Aurora m7700 laptop and add them in to a new folder HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB and see how it works.

The overall goal is to get a lean secure platform for testing and development of different platforms through VM. Eventually I plan on using FDV's file set for W2K3 server as the base OS but for now I am trying to get familiar with HFSLIP, seems really awesome. :thumbup

Edited by mystek

Just be sure to check if there are any additional files besides the ones inside DRIVER.CAB that need to be included. All HFSLIP does is add the files from HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB into DRIVER.CAB and update DRVINDEX.INF.

One last question before I try this, do I need the edited SETUPAPI.DLL and do I just put the drivers in the folder i.e (ar5211.sys, net5211.inf, and net5211.cat) for my wireless card? And add the rest of the drivers as individual associated files?

I checked nLite drivers, (Not in the driver cab file) and he puts the drivers in separate folders 0 ... 9. Do you know if DRIVERCAB will allow that and have HFSLIP incorporate them? The reason I ask is that 2 drivers have a layout.bin and data1.cab file so if I try to copy them to the same folder they want to overwight the previous one. I looked in the nVidia GeForce 7800 FX video inf and found no reference to either file so I am not sure where to go from there.

Subfolders aren't supported. I don't know about layout.bin, but I know that even with the HFDRV feature you need to unpack that data1.cab archive (and edit the installation INF file).

Edited by Tomcat76