Help on quite a few things on XP

dukefan84

Problem 1

OK, so recently my whole computer got screwed. I had to reinstall XP from the beginning on it and now that it's been reinstalled, I can't set my screen resolution above 640x480 on Display Settings. I can't change it at all unless I got to Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Adapter -> List All Modes. But even when I do pick my correct resolution there (which is 1024x768, btw) it completely distorts the color quality. No matter what resolution I choose other than the one the computer defaultly has selected for me the color quality will be stuck on "Low (8 Bit)". Can anyone please tell me how to fix this?

Problem 2

The other thing I cannot do is get any type of sound. When I try to adjust my volume control under All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Volume Control it says

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware."

So, I did that and whenever I try to install anything that's related to sound, it tells me that the drivers for this device are not installed. How do I install them?

(Btw, I tried install Multimedia Audio Controller)

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer!

First off did you use nLite?

Secondly was it a good install disk? (No scratches?)

Did the installation go without errors?

Is your sound and video integrated in the motherboard?

If the first three are all good then you may have a motherbard issue.

What happened when your whole computer got "Screwed"?

First off did you use nLite?

Secondly was it a good install disk? (No scratches?)

Did the installation go without errors?

Is your sound and video integrated in the motherboard?

If the first three are all good then you may have a motherbard issue.

What happened when your whole computer got "Screwed"?

What's nLite?

As far as I know it was a good install disk and yeah the sound and video cards are integrated.

What happened to the computer is, I was installing some software, Zonealarm Firewall, and it prompted me to restart. First, however, I uninstalled a game and a few programs, one that was a spyware removal program. Then I hit restart on the restart prompt and before my computer could get to the user login screen again a blue screen appeared that said (roughly):

----

Startup can't load C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\(a directory of system32, I think CONFIG)

It is either corrupt, unreadable, or removed.

(some random words I can't remember)

Dumping physical memory...

Physical memory dump complete.

Please contact your administrator or tech support group for more information.

----

After that, I put in the XP Setup CD and installed XP again.

Do you have the most current motherboard drivers?

How did you install was it a full reformat and reinstall or a "repair install"

I dunno about the motherboard drivers, but I did a full reformat and reinstall.

I think everyone is complicating this topic with talk of nlite etc.

May I ask... did you re-install drivers after you installed Windows?

Sounds to me like you just haven't installed the drivers for your graphics card and sound card :)

Easiest thing if you're not very computer savvie... if you have a CD's for them, stick them in your computer and run the setup programs

Hope this helps :)

I think everyone is complicating this topic with talk of nlite etc.

May I ask... did you re-install drivers after you installed Windows?

Sounds to me like you just haven't installed the drivers for your graphics card and sound card :)

Easiest thing if you're not very computer savvie... if you have a CD's for them, stick them in your computer and run the setup programs

Hope this helps :)

Yeah, see, that's the problem. It's like my computer didn't come with the drivers for either my graphics or sound card. All I can think of doing is buying a new graphics/video card.

BTW, I got a new sound card from my brother, so that's fixed.

Thanks for everyone's help! Everything's fixed now.

As I said before, I got a new sound card. Later that day I was on the computer (just an hour or so ago) and XP downloaded 41 updates and one of them was an update to my graphics card. I restarted the computer and it was all back to normal. :thumbup

Thanks again to everyone!

Right click on 'My Computer' > Manage > Device Manager

There you will get a list of all devices in your comp:

• A black exclamation point (!) on a yellow field indicates the device is in a problem state. Note that a device that is in a problem state can be functioning.

• A problem code explaining the problem is displayed for the device.

• A red "X" indicates a disabled device. A disabled device is a device that is physically present in the computer and is consuming resources, but does not have a protected-mode driver loaded.

• A blue "i" on a white field on a device resource in Computer properties indicates that the Use automatic settings feature is not selected for the device and that the resource was manually selected. Note that this does not indicate a problem or disabled state.

• A green question mark "?" in Device Manager means that a compatible driver for this device is installed, indicating the possibility that all of the functionality may not be available. Note that this applies only to Windows Millennium Edition (Me).

(I got this from Microsoft site :) )

So you'll see if you have to install additional drivers. Make sure (when you download them) to save them first and make a backup copy of all the drivers.

grtz