Yet another Broadcom/Marvell RIS problem

Hello All,

I am trying to make my RIS installation work with a Dell GX620 using the Broadcom drivers.

Here is where I am at in the process....

I can install a flat file image of Windows XP SP2 on the Dell with absolutely no problem. The Broadcom driver shows up perfectly.

HOWEVER, if I try to install an RIPrep image onto the same machine, I get the "network adapter is not supported..." message. I have followed the Broadcom website instructions on modifying the inf file to no avail.

I can post my sif files if needed.

It's pretty frustrating that this is not working. I'm hoping it's something simple I am doing. :realmad:

here the information from the brodcom website:

79.) How do I install Windows 2000 and Windows XP using Remote Installation Services?

Microsoft Remote Installation Service(RIS) Instructions for Adding Broadcom Network Adapter Driver

Problem: An error is encountered when attempting to load the Broadcom device driver for a 32-bit version of Windows XP or later operating system using a Windows 2000 Remote Installation Server: File b57w2k.sys caused an unexpected error (21) at line 3752 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

Solution: A modification to the b57win32.inf file can be made to allow for the installation to complete successfully. This will be in conjunction with instructions from the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 315279 that describe "How to Add Third-Party OEM Network Adapters to RIS Installations."

Requirement: The Windows 2000 Server must be running Service Pack 3 or later.

Obtain the latest driver for your Broadcom Adapter.

The driver files included for the Broadcom 57xx adapter are b57win32.inf, b57win32.cat, and b57xp32.sys. Create a copy of the b57win32.inf and b57xp32.sys files and locate them in a separate folder called RIS. This will allow you to distinguish them from the originals.

For the b57win32.inf file located in the RIS folder, make the following change using a text editor like Notepad:

Locate [Manufacturer] within the file.

Review the line below which reads: %BRCM% = Broadcom, NTx86.5.1, NTamd64.

Modify that line to read: %BRCM% = Broadcom.NTx86.5.1, NTamd64. The change made replaces the comma and space after "Broadcom" with a period.

Save the file.

On the RIS server, copy the b57win32.inf and b57xp32.sys files from the RIS folder to the RemoteInstall\Setup\Language\Images\Dir_name\i386 folder. (This allows Setup to use the driver during the text-mode portion of the installation).

At the same level as the i386 folder on the RIS image, create a $oem$ folder. Use the recommended structure: \$oem$\$1\Drivers\Nic

Copy the original b57win32.inf, b57xp32.sys, and b57win32.cat driver files to this folder.

Make the following changes to the .sif file that is used for this image installation:

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic

Stop and then restart the Remote Installation service on the RIS server. To do this, type the following from a command prompt:

net stop binlsvc

net start binlsvc

• 4 weeks later...

:thumbup

I finally got this to work....I found out via Microsoft that if you put network drivers in one base image, you'll need to put them in all RIS base images. Or you can put the image you are using first in alphabetical order.