Automatically create NTFS junction links for all duplicate files.

MrChris

Is there any util out there that will parse/scan a folder structure and check for duplicate files and if duplicates are detected then create ntfs junction points for them thus saving space on the drive.

I have a USB key that has a lot of installers for a ton of apps most of them use the same files such as "instmsia.exe" and "instmsiw.exe" there are like 50+ copies of these files and others. And to save space I was thinking of creating NTFS junction points/links but since there are so many it could take a while.

I don't think there is... but if you put those installers on a CD then you can "optimise" the ISO which basically performs the function you're seeking.

+Instmsia and Instmsiw? Those are MSI installers, you only need one copy of each - your machine probably has those files already, all you need to do is run the .MSI file to install. Try installing without them; if it works, you can delete those files to free some space.

+Instmsia and Instmsiw? Those are MSI installers, you only need one copy of each - your machine probably has those files already, all you need to do is run the .MSI file to install. Try installing without them; if it works, you can delete those files to free some space.

LLXX is right.

Also I do not think you can use junction links on a usb flash drive because I think that they are not (by default at least) formated with NTFS. I think they use fat. Someone correct me if I am wrong.