*my gift to all of you*

crystalxp

Hi all :hello:

First of all I would like to thank each one of you for the great support and knowledge you guys delivered in the forum …

Today I've finished integrating my last program #60 into my unattended cd which is window washer 6.0.2.466 retail version, therefore I have decided to share it with whom ever interesting to have it … just pm me and I'll email it to you as soon as I get to your pm.

No need for auto-it script or a switch or anything else it's a fully silent installer, created using InstallRite , but I have a small question about the registry to make it functions just the way it should.

That's what I found in one of the entries:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Webroot\Window Washer\Paths]
"WINDOWS"="C:\\WINDOWS"
"SHARED"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Webroot Shared"
"COOKIES"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\SHARAF\\Cookies"
"CACHE"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\SHARAF\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files"
"HISTORY"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\SHARAF\\Local Settings\\History"
"RECENT"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\SHARAF\\Recent"
"TEMP"="C:\\DOCUME~1\\SHARAF\\LOCALS~1\\Temp"
"AIM"=""
"AOL"=""
"ICQ"=""
"MSN"="C:\\Program Files\\Messenger"
"YHO"=""
"FOX"=""
"INSTALL"="C:\\Program Files\\Webroot\\Washer"
"KEEP"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\SHARAF\\Application Data\\Webroot\\Washer"

In these entries you can realize that's SHARAF is the account name created know, and most of these keys are aiming to SHARAF's Documents and Settings , WILL SO, THAT MEANS I HAVE TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT CALLED SHARAF DURING MY UNATTENDED INSTALLATION TO ASSIGN THESE ENTRIES TO IT.

So how can I make these entries works for any user created during the unattended installation not just SHARAF?

I tried using %AllUsersProfile% but didn't work i.e. :

"CACHE"="%AllUsersProfile% \\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files"

.... any idea?

Edited by crystalxp

I would try the install without those keys in the first instance. The majority of them are found programatically, and can be markedly different for all users. If your install didn't open the application, you may have problems, but I would like to think that those keys will be auto-completed on first run for each individual %username%.

At the most, I would only attempt to use the entries for WINDOWS SHARED and INSTALL, bearing in mind that those of us not installing Program Files to %SystemDrive% and /or with %SYSTEMROOT% not on C: will not be able to use your installer as is.

hi Yzöwl:

I appreciate your caring to help in this matter … ok if we assume that most people will use C:\ as their defaults then how could we manage those keys I've just pointed out?

will I have tried the installer many times and in different machines, it's working totally great I was able to manage this key for the add-on's to be:

"KEEP"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\Webroot\\Washer"

It worked like a charm, and I was wondering if there is something that we could do to get the path of TEMP, RECENT, HISTORY, COOKIES, CACHE assign to other users?

Are you referring here like if I use %username% i.e. :

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\History

Would have it to work for the new user?

thanx,

Edited by crystalxp

As I said before your gift to all of us would only actually be to some of us, not only are those paths different on many PCs, the intended users may also have the software you dont, AIM ICQ and YAHOO, for instance.

I would still attempt the install without those entries at all, and hope that the software will complete the paths on first run.

If you intend going on with this method, I would sugest you use a script to programatically attain each of the required paths. You would then need to use your script to generate the REG file using that data, or change to use VBS INF CMD etc. instead.

• 8 months later...

I just tried this InstallRite, wow, its amazing!

Could it be used to finally do painful installs like Kaspersky Antivirus?

Only one way to find out...

EDIT:

With the Webroot Window Washer problem - heres what I did...

1 - Created a silent installer with InstallRite in VMware on XP but...

2 - Before I built this installer I deleted the desktop icon for Window Washer,

just because I dont want it there and also I took the startup entry out from

the registry with a script, or you can do it manually, the InstallRite program

takes ALL of this into account so long as you do these two things before

building the app.

3 - I copied the Webroot folder from the start menu, the whole folder "Webroot"

and made a 7z file out of that folder called STARTMENU.7z

4 - I copied the file C:\WINDOWS\Unwash6.exe to a folder and also

compressed this as a 7z file - I called that WINDOWS.7z

5 - I now have 7za.exe/WINDOWS.7z/STARTMENU.7z and install.bat in a folder

along with the Window Washer silent installer which I called WinWash.exe

6 - In the bat file "install.bat" I put the following code:

start /wait WinWash.exe
7za.exe x -y -aoa WINDOWS.7z -o"%WINDIR%"
7za.exe x -y -aoa STARTMENU.7z -o"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs"
exit

7 - Then I made a "Ghost Application" from the batch file with "Quick Batch File Compiler"

just for the sake of hiding the command window. So then I made an SFX exe with WinRAR

from all 4 files so it extracts to the %TEMP% dir and runs that "install.exe" (batch file):

7za.exe ---> So the 7z files below can be unpacked on the command line

install.exe ---> This was "install.bat" (see above code) I only made it an exe to hide it.

WINDOWS.7z ---> This is the Window Washer uninstaller "Unwash6.exe" from the C:\WINDOWS directory.

STARTMENU.7z ---> This is the entire "Webroot" folder from the Start Menu with the shortcuts in it.

WinWash.exe ---> This is the InstallRite created installer for Window Washer.

I even gave it the Window Washer icon :whistle:

Doing all that with the 7z files solved the problem of installing on other machines

of it not having the start menu entries and it saying it cant find the uninstaller for

the program.

Its a long winded way, but it did work.

Edited by LeveL