Acrobat Reader 7?

Tihiy

shakeair4kp.jpg

Acrobat Reader 7 running on 98 with latest Kernel Update + Unicode libraries (KernelXP).

You know, it's just political. There was no technical difficulties for Adobe.

^^ See the proof ^^

Also notice some RPLite5 features (hm, sometime it'll be released).

:w00t: Windows 98 SE and Acrobat 7 ??? Whow! Needed special build (KernelXP) or only RPLite 5? And other applications (for W2000/XP)? e.g. CorelDraw 12, X3, Photoshop CS (2)?

the reason for lower visual quality is maybe the missing gdiplus.dll in window 98, but this dll can inserted by hand....

http://foxitsoftware.com/bbs/showthread.ph...d+1130+Released

Foxit Reader works better with the GDIPLUS.DLL file under Win9x/ME/NT4 but you must install the gdiplus.dll file into the SAME folder as where the Foxit Reader software is installed.

Foxit reader is almost unusable for reading text documents, it has much lower quality of displayed text. It depends on the pdf document itself too, of course.

Petr

When I tried Foxit reader, it was much better for reading PDF files on-screen, something I hated to do with Acrobat Reader. Unfortunately, when I tried to print a PDF file with the Foxit reader the output produced was less than satisfactory. So I would use Foxit to view PDFs, and Acrobat Reader to print them.

Phil

• 2 months later...
When I tried Foxit reader, it was much better for reading PDF files on-screen, something I hated to do with Acrobat Reader. Unfortunately, when I tried to print a PDF file with the Foxit reader the output produced was less than satisfactory. So I would use Foxit to view PDFs, and Acrobat Reader to print them.

Phil

maybe the Foxit printing problem could be fixed in version 2.0.

the beta version of Foxit Reader 2.0 is no longer available. get the official release of Foxit reader 2.0 at the Foxit software downloads page.

Edited by erpdude8

• 4 weeks later...
i installed acrobat 7 and i get an error when i start up.

-----------

Fatal Error

Acrobat Failed to load Core DLL

-----------

how do i get past this?

what version of windows are u using when attempting to use adobe reader 7, awergh?

maybe the Foxit printing problem could be fixed in version 2.0. Foxit Reader 2.0 beta is available here as I read on their forum site:

Foxit Reader 2.0 has been officially released. get it here:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

Acrobat Reader 7 running on 98 with latest Kernel Update + Unicode libraries (KernelXP).

You know, it's just political. There was no technical difficulties for Adobe.

^^ See the proof ^^

Also notice some RPLite5 features (hm, sometime it'll be released).

I could not get Adobe Reader 7.08 to install under Win98/ME, EVEN with the KernelXP update installed. I ran the AdbeRdr708_en_US.exe file under Win98se with KernelXP update installed and I get an error message that I am using an "unsupported OS" :no:

Same here. I also did the kernel update first (subsequently ghosted back to remove). v7 of acrobat reader just didn't want to know.

"This version of the Windows OS is not supported. Setup will now terminate."

Same here. I also did the kernel update first (subsequently ghosted back to remove). v7 of acrobat reader just didn't want to know.

yea the freakin' FEAD Optimizer setup file refused to extract the Adobe Reader 7.08 setup files onto a Win98/ME machine even with KernelXP update installed on those machines :angry:

looks like the we'll have to run AdbeRdr708_en_US.exe on a Win2k/XP machine first. running that file will copy the Adobe Reader 7.08 setup files to the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBig708\ENU" folder. then we can copy the rest of the Acrobat Reader 7.08 files from the W2k/XP computer onto a Win98/ME computer with kernelXP update.

yea the freakin' FEAD Optimizer setup file refused to extract the Adobe Reader 7.08 setup files onto a Win98/ME machine even with KernelXP update installed on those machines :angry:

looks like the we'll have to run AdbeRdr708_en_US.exe on a Win2k/XP machine first. running that file will copy the Adobe Reader 7.08 setup files to the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBig708\ENU" folder. then we can copy the rest of the Acrobat Reader 7.08 files from the W2k/XP computer onto a Win98/ME computer with kernelXP update.

I install Acrobat Reader for my customers all the time. Typically, Acrobat reader 6.03 is the last version written for Windows 9x.

For those folks using the older OS's, (at least Windows 98/SE) I install AR 6.01 and then the patches for 6.02 and 6.03.

For Windows 98 (Basic) AR 5.x is the last version that will work.

Version 7.0 and above is designed for Windows XP.

Stick to that format and all will be well.

Don't tug on Superman's Cape, don't spit into the wind and don't try to load programs designed for XP on PC's running Windows 98. Follow that simple rule and you'll get along just fine. :thumbup

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

im running 98se, to install it i got the setup files from an xp machine i edited the msi with orca so that it didnt complain about an unsupported OS but i get an error when i run it. So Tihiy how did you get it to work

I install Acrobat Reader for my customers all the time. Typically, Acrobat reader 6.03 is the last version written for Windows 9x.

For those folks using the older OS's, (at least Windows 98/SE) I install AR 6.01 and then the patches for 6.02 and 6.03.

Just curious, any particular reason you can't use 6.05?

[Edit: RyanVM has it as a switchless installer here.]