Acrobat Reader 7?

Tihiy

Tested several times with no problem. I really don't understand why the installer has this restriction.

It's a Windows Installer thing, Petr. AR 6.x uses MSI to install the Adobe Reader and it has MSI scripts that prevent the installation under 98fe, 95 & NT4 and will only install under 98se/me/2k/xp.

Yes, I know where the restriction is implemented but I do't know WHY.

Petr

Yes, I know where the restriction is implemented but I do't know WHY.

Petr

dont you get it, Petr? Adobe MADE the AR6.x software that way. They just dont want Adobe Acrobat 6 and Adobe Reader 6 to install AND run under older versions of Windows. PERIOD!

You might want to ask Adobe systems as to why their Acrobat 6 and Acrobat Reader 6 software are not supported under 98fe and older versions of Windows.

Edited by erpdude8

ok this is off topic, but any chance of making Apple Quicktime 7.x run under Win98/ME (or even the Apple ipod software under 98/me) with KernelXP. I know both of these require win2k/xp.
I have tried QTM 7.0.x on Win98 SE and didn't work at all.

I'm not talking about installing it, that doesn't work period, I'm talking about trying to run it [after registering the DLLs + OCXs and copying all necessary files from the XP installation], i.e. open MOV files coded in QTM7.

A couple of MOV files coded in QTM7 ran without any video [audio only], and in stereo mode [2 channels] only.

IMHO:

It is probably very difficult to implement necessary API code into 9x system files to make QTM7 run properly under 98SE/ME.

As far as I know QTM7 depends in part on WMP10 new APIs for HD-WMD/HD-WMV video/audio + AC3 [Dolby Digital] surround sound. And these WMP10 APIs can be used [unfortunately] only on XP [and likely on 2003 + Vista].

And in turn, HD/DD APIs from WMP10 depend on XP/2003/Vista core + system files and DX 9.0c APIs [like DirectSound, NetShow], which are specific only to XP/2003/Vista.

What happens if you leave the SE kernel in 98FE? Any disadvantages/advantages of doing so?

I have not noticed anything unusual but it was for short time only.

Petr

Yes there ARE pros AND cons of using kernel32.dll v4.10.2222 to v4.10.2225 under 98 FE as I've tested myself. Bad thing about this is that Win98 FE is now identified as Win98 version 4.10.2222 in MSInfo32 (system information app) and in the Dr. Watson tool. second bad thing is it prevents the installation of 98fe-specific updates like Q190715, Q192117, Q222903, etc. however using the 98se kernel under win98fe DOES allow installing 98 SE specific updates like Q239887, Q258680, Q273017, etc.

had to switch back to 98FE kernel just to install the MS 98fe specific patches.

IMHO:

It is probably very difficult to implement necessary API code into 9x system files to make QTM7 run properly under 98SE/ME.

As far as I know QTM7 depends in part on WMP10 new APIs for HD-WMD/HD-WMV video/audio + AC3 [Dolby Digital] surround sound. And these WMP10 APIs can be used [unfortunately] only on XP [and likely on 2003 + Vista].

And in turn, HD/DD APIs from WMP10 depend on XP/2003/Vista core + system files and DX 9.0c APIs [like DirectSound, NetShow], which are specific only to XP/2003/Vista.

looks like QTM7 will never work under 9xME systems. ditto for IE7. perhaps even the upcoming WMP 11 wont even run under 9x systems as well so dont bother making a pack that makes wmp11 run under 98se.

IMHO:

As far as I know QTM7 depends in part on WMP10 new APIs for HD-WMD/HD-WMV video/audio + AC3 [Dolby Digital]surround sound. And these WMP10 APIs can be used [unfortunately] only on XP [and likely on 2003 + Vista].

i believe there may be some other options

http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/index.php

(May 5, 2005) You may have noticed that Apple's QuickTime Player 7 is available for download. As of this writing, the player is only available for Mac OS X, and the latest QuickTime files are only viewable on that platform. That is, unless you are using an FFmpeg-derived multimedia application. Thanks to dedicated multimedia hackers from the FFmpeg and x264 projects, FFmpeg's libavcodec can already decode the next-generation (buzzword alert!) H.264 video codec data inside the latest Apple QuickTime files. Along with the free, open source FAAD AAC decoding library (for the audio track) and a competent QuickTime file demuxer, open source software is already equipped to handle the newest multimedia files on the internet.
http://www.elecard.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573
The Elecard MP4 Demultiplexer is a DirectShow filter that provides demultiplexing MPEG-4 (Intermedia Format (MP4)), 3GPP2, Quick Time 7.0 streams with MPEG-4, H.263, AVC/H.264 video streams and AAC, AMR, MP3 audio streams.

I was looking at photoshop cs (not 2) and it doesnt have too many dependencies

Kernel32.dll GetUserDefaultUILanguage

User32.dll GetLastInputInfo

User32.dll SetLayeredWindowAttributes

OLE32.dll CoWaitForMultipleHandles

acrobat 7 looks good even though i use foxit reader

IMHO:

i believe there may be some other options

http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/index.php

(May 5, 2005) You may have noticed that Apple's QuickTime Player 7 is available for download. As of this writing, the player is only available for Mac OS X, and the latest QuickTime files are only viewable on that platform. That is, unless you are using an FFmpeg-derived multimedia application. Thanks to dedicated multimedia hackers from the FFmpeg and x264 projects, FFmpeg's libavcodec can already decode the next-generation (buzzword alert!) H.264 video codec data inside the latest Apple QuickTime files. Along with the free, open source FAAD AAC decoding library (for the audio track) and a competent QuickTime file demuxer, open source software is already equipped to handle the newest multimedia files on the internet.
http://www.elecard.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573
The Elecard MP4 Demultiplexer is a DirectShow filter that provides demultiplexing MPEG-4 (Intermedia Format (MP4)), 3GPP2, Quick Time 7.0 streams with MPEG-4, H.263, AVC/H.264 video streams and AAC, AMR, MP3 audio streams.
Very interesting.

Thanks.

I'll try to install FFmpeg [looks like it's included with MPlayer now].

And I hope they've made a Win32 port so it can be used on 9x/NTx OSes.

I'll post here if I manage to play MPG4/H.264 encoded QTM7 files in 98SE or ME.

but problem with AR 5.x is , no support for pdf version 1.5 & 1.6 .

(...but the free foxit reader supports win9x & pdf versions >1.4

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/foxitreader/foxitreader.zip

it is only 1mb and much faster then the acrobat reader... )

And a whole lot less trouble. This is off-topic for this forum, but I have a relatively undinged XP system that really doesn't want to be reinstalled from scratch, assuming that would even help. The only thing known wrong with it is that any Adobe version 6 or 7 all have been installed then deinstalled then reinstalled to no avail.

The problem is that it won't support the ability to do a normal print without fudging some seemingly unnecessary advanced settings in the printer [which is an HP laser-Jet IIP with the built-in support]. No other programs exhibit this behavior, including Foxit which just works fine as is.

No problems with Adobe 6 on 98se on the same hardware. [98se is used as a maintenance system on this particular machine.]

cjl

"It is much quicker"

Not really, AR7 appears to be faster because it slows down booting by loading most of itself at boot time.

which can be disabled from Adobe Reader 7 options dialog box. I hate it when it loads at startup. try running AR7 without their stuff loaded at bootup time. could be a difference in performance.

Foxit Reader is a nice alternative to Adobe Reader. There's even a Foxit Reader Pro edition (shareware):

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_pro.php

I'm going to use the free edition Foxit Reader.

"It is much quicker"

Not really, AR7 appears to be faster because it slows down booting by loading most of itself at boot time.

which can be disabled from Adobe Reader 7 options dialog box. I hate it when it loads at startup. try running AR7 without their stuff loaded at bootup time. could be a difference in performance.

Foxit Reader is a nice alternative to Adobe Reader. There's even a Foxit Reader Pro edition (shareware):

Foxit reader is almost unusable for reading text documents, it has much lower quality of displayed text. It depends on the pdf document itself too, of course.

Petr

Hello!

"It is much quicker"

How is this working in Foxit Reader?

http://ep.espacenet.com/search97cgi/s97_cg...ep/en/quick.hts

Cheers, Roman

• 4 weeks later...

"It is much quicker"

Foxit reader is almost unusable for reading text documents, it has much lower quality of displayed text. It depends on the pdf document itself too, of course.

Petr

the reason for lower visual quality is maybe the missing gdiplus.dll in window 98, but this dll can inserted by hand....

http://foxitsoftware.com/bbs/showthread.ph...d+1130+Released