Acrobat Reader 7?

Tihiy

shakeair4kp.jpg

Acrobat Reader 7 running on 98 with latest Kernel Update + Unicode libraries (KernelXP).

You know, it's just political. There was no technical difficulties for Adobe.

^^ See the proof ^^

Also notice some RPLite5 features (hm, sometime it'll be released).

Tihiy, this a great news that we can run Windows NT native applications on Win9x but question is how much better is Acrobat 7 than 6 version?

It is much quicker, supports pdf 1.6 format and from my point of view it has better search.

Petr

Acrobat Reader 7 running on 98 with latest Kernel Update + Unicode libraries (KernelXP).

You know, it's just political. There was no technical difficulties for Adobe.

That's nice. Is there any easy way how to arrange everything?

Petr

Edited by Petr

That doesn't even look like 98se. It looks like a combination of Vista + XP :P

I see we can get more NT-only programs to run, but I personally wouldn't use any version of Acrobat Reader beyond 5.0 - they started getting bigger and more sluggish at that point.

I see we can get more NT-only programs to run, but I personally wouldn't use any version of Acrobat Reader beyond 5.0 - they started getting bigger and more sluggish at that point.

I agree with LLXX, newer versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader are resource hogs unless you disable some of the plugins Acrobat Reader loads. there is an Acrobat Reader 5.1. you can find a copy of AR 5.1 at the Oldversion.com site. AR 5.1 is no longer available for download at the Adobe site.

but problem with AR 5.x is , no support for pdf version 1.5 & 1.6 .

(...but the free foxit reader supports win9x & pdf versions >1.4

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/foxitreader/foxitreader.zip

it is only 1mb and much faster then the acrobat reader... )

I agree with LLXX, newer versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader are resource hogs unless you disable some of the plugins Acrobat Reader loads. there is an Acrobat Reader 5.1. you can find a copy of AR 5.1 at the Oldversion.com site. AR 5.1 is no longer available for download at the Adobe site.

Edited by shaddam

personally I'm currently using Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.x, (w/ 6.04 update installed) under WinME.

AR 6.x only supports Win98se, Winme, 2000, xp/2003. the AR6 installer refuses to install under Win95, Win98 FE and NT4.

personally I'm currently using Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.x, (w/ 6.04 update installed) under WinME.

AR 6.x only supports Win98se, Winme, 2000, xp/2003. the AR6 installer refuses to install under Win95, Win98 FE and NT4.

Quick trick how to install Adobe Reader 6.x on Windows 98 FE:

1. Replace kernel32.dll with version 4.10.2225 from Windows 98 SE

2. Install Adobe Reader 6.x

3. Replace kernel32.dll back the FE version.

Tested several times with no problem. I really don't understand why the installer has this restriction.

On Windows XP is AR7 much quicker than AR6 so I'd like to see AR7 on 98SE.

Petr

Quick trick how to install Adobe Reader 6.x on Windows 98 FE:

1. Replace kernel32.dll with version 4.10.2225 from Windows 98 SE

2. Install Adobe Reader 6.x

3. Replace kernel32.dll back the FE version.

Tested several times with no problem. I really don't understand why the installer has this restriction.

On Windows XP is AR7 much quicker than AR6 so I'd like to see AR7 on 98SE.

Petr

What happens if you leave the SE kernel in 98FE? Any disadvantages/advantages of doing so?

It's a Windows Installer thing, Petr. AR 6.x uses MSI to install the Adobe Reader and it has MSI scripts that prevent the installation under 98fe, 95 & NT4 and will only install under 98se/me/2k/xp.

thanks for the AR 6.05 update, rainyd.

ok this is off topic, but any chance of making Apple Quicktime 7.x run under Win98/ME (or even the Apple ipod software under 98/me) with KernelXP. I know both of these require win2k/xp.

Edited by erpdude8