Batch renaming in XP

xenithon

Hi All. I wanted to know if there is any built in XP app or command which allows you to rename files, but using the same name, not numbered. Let me give you an example:

In my music collection, every folder which has an album in it has a cover.jpg file. I can find all of them easily by searching for cover.jpg but trying to rename them to lets say x results in x.jpg, x(1).jpg, x(2).jpg etc. What I want to do is rename them all to x.jpg which shouldn't be a problem as they are all in different folders. I also tried the REN command but it does not allow you to do it across subfolders, only the current working folder. I want to try keep away from nasty 3rd party apps if possible, so if it is a 3rd part app hopefully it is clean, spyware free and is just an executable without an installer/registry modifier.

X

You can use total commander and make a search on the parrent folder

*.txt , after that u will have the result and after this u will press feed to listbox and select all and make a multi rename ctrl+t(or ctrl m).

:hello:RenWiz is a nice and simple freeware app. I've used once before myself. No ads, though a small install for the Free Version. I guess if it's bought there is no install. The version I have I don't have to install it.

There's no need for third party app, only command line.

If your music collection is in the folder C:\MUSIC, you'll type :

for /r c:\music %c in (cover.jpg) do ren %c x.jpg

and voilà...

(but cover.jpg is more explicit than x.jpg ! you should try folder.jpg instead : windows will display them as folder thumbnails)

Edited by Delprat

FOR /R "C:\MY MUSIC" %? IN (FRONT.JPG) DO REN "%?" X.JPG

<Edit>

The above is simply a slight modification to Delprat's code to allow for the possibility of spaces in the directory path

</Edit>

Edited by Yzöwl

Thanks guys, works like a charm! I used Yzöwl's code. Only thing I notice (which I don't think makes a difference any way) is that it tries the rename for every single FOLDER, and not simply every instance of the file.

What I mean is for example I have Artist Art with album Alb which has 3 CDs. I would have the directory structure Music\Art\Art - Alb\CD1; Music\Art\Art - Alb\CD2; Music\Art\Art - Alb\CD3. Only those 3 would have cover.jpg. The command would execute in those three, as well as in Music; Music\Art; Music\Art\Art-Alb.

But like I said, doesn't really make a difference, just reports "cannot find specified file".

Thanks again,

X