Help Copying Certain Files

xenithon

Hi All. I want to copy certain files over from one hard drive to another one (which is in another PC but shared across the home network). Let me quickly explain quickly:

I have all my music sorted out into an artist/album/songs structure. The backup has no album artwork, the main music collection does (added it over the past week or so) in a very structured way so that each album has a cover.jpg image in it. I want to copy these over to the backup drive now, but only want to copy the art work files (JPEG's) such that it copies the right files to the respective folders, as the structure is the same. Is there anyway to do this without copying everything (all files including MP3's)?

X

hi,

use this

XCOPY "c:\music" "d:\Musicbackup" /E /S /H /I /Y /EXCLUDE:c:\musicbackup.txt

inside musicbackup.txt simply type the word .mp3

this will copy everything over including hidden files but it will skip the mp3's is this what you wanted?

Edited by eyeball

If you still have problem try looking up SecureCopy on the internet.

I used it once (not free-ware) and it does and excellent job complete with log files of the operations completed.

Kind Regards.

Martin Andersen

Hi there. No need, xcopy works 100%. Since I know the files I wanted were all jpg files I used wildcard jpg instead of exclusions.

In other words: xcopy c:\Music\*.jpg z:\Backup\Music /s /H

Worked like a charm!

EDIT: for future and other uses, is there any embedde windows app/command which allows me to compare two folders, to highlight differences? For example if one has new folders added, new files within existing folders, modified files/folders etc.

Edited by xenithon

EDIT: for future and other uses, is there any embedde windows app/command which allows me to compare two folders, to highlight differences? For example if one has new folders added, new files within existing folders, modified files/folders etc.
Redirect output of dir command to a file for both directories, then fc the two files.