RICHED20.DLL compatibility

Petr

version 5.3 of the riched20.dll file is also bundled in the Windows Installer 2.0 packages. so I guess MSI 2.0 uses the riched20.dll file.

Microsoft Office programs like MS Word & MS Outlook also use the riched20.dll file. If you can't start these programs because of a bad or corrupted riched20.dll file, replace that DLL file with a clean one.

Edited by erpdude8

I've been using 5.50.30.2002 for a while in Win98SE and had no problems with it.

Please check the colors of the links in the other older versions. AFAIK, there was an issue with that and it's been fixed only in some of the latest builds. The link color on black (dark) background should become white automatically.

I've been using 5.50.30.2002 for a while in Win98SE and had no problems with it.

Please check the colors of the links in the other older versions. AFAIK, there was an issue with that and it's been fixed only in some of the latest builds. The link color on black (dark) background should become white automatically.

Richedit 5 has the same font switching problem as Richedit 3 and 3.1, only Richedit 4 works fine.

Something was corrected in version 5.50.99.2012 (rom KB900459) but still it is not OK.

Petr

• 5 months later...

As Drugwash reported here @ Dec 12 2006, 12:58 PM RichEdit 4.0 riched20.dll (5.40.11.2218) has problem with somer applications, like eMule (not clickable link) or Miranda IM spellchecker (spelling errors not underlined).

I don't know how to use Miranda IM but I have installed eMule and the link is really not clickable with riched20.dll 5.40.11.2218.

Both Miranda IM and eMule are open source but I'm not a programmer so I cannot guess if the code can be modified to work with all riched20.dll versions.

It is not an issue for Windows language version that use US-ASCII 1252 codepage but for other language versions it is real problem, there are many applications that exhibit unwanted font switching with RichEdit 3.0 and RichEdit 4.0 is solution for this problem.

Exactly the same situation is on all operating systems till Windows XP and Vista.

It is possible to place the right version of riched20.dll to the application folder and so far it seems to be the only possible solution.

Maybe somebody could be able to patch RichEdit 3.0 riched20.dll to correct the font switching bug?

Petr

Edited by Petr

Here are some screenshots for the tests in Miranda IM. They are self-explanatory. The options on the settings page were exactly the same for both tests. First test was run with riched20.dll v5.30 installed in %system%, while for the second test I just dropped riched20.dll v5.40 in Miranda's main folder.

spellcheckersettingsyz1.th.png firsttestwz3.th.png secondtestpx5.th.png

• 1 month later...

Microsoft has just released the MS07-013 RICHED20.DLL security updates:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms07-013.mspx

updated riched20.dll file for RichEdit 3.x is now 5.30.23.1227 (if using Office 2000 or Windows 2000; the WinXP edition of MS07-013 has riched20.dll version 5.30.23.1228 while the Win2003 edition has riched20.dll versions 5.30.23.1224 and 5.30.23.1226)

updated riched20.dll file for RichEdit 4.0 is now 5.40.11.2220

updated riched20.dll file for Richedit 5.0 is now 5.50.99.2014

Edited by erpdude8

Posted new RICHED20.DLL updates:

* Microsoft Windows 9x/NT4/ME Malformed Word Rich Text (RTF) Edit Controls RICHED20.DLL 5.40.11.2220, RICHED32.DLL 5.0.1461.82 + USP10.DLL 1.0422.3790.2706 Security Vulnerability Fix (English):

- Unofficial Windows 95/98/ME RTF Fix [911 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/RICHED9X.EXE

- Unofficial Windows NT 4.0 RTF Fix [795 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/RICHEDNT.EXE

HTH

There is no change in 5.40.11.2220 in respect to the problems posted by me above.

I couldn't test 5.50.99.2214 as I have no compatible product installed and I couldn't extract the needed file from the patch, but I suspect, that one wouldn't make any difference either. :(

• 1 year later...
so far, riched20.dll version 5.4 works okay under Win95.

It does not work on mine. Tested with Dependency Walker:

USER32.DLL:

GetMonitorInfoW

MonitorFromWindow

(Delay-load) MSO.DLL is missing

(Delay-load) USP10.DLL is missing

(Delay-load) UXTHEME.DLL is missing

• 2 months later...

USER32.DLL:

GetMonitorInfoW

MonitorFromWindow

confirmed. Report the problem to MDGx immediately so that he can include riched20.dll v5.3 instead.

USER32.DLL:

GetMonitorInfoW

MonitorFromWindow

confirmed. Report the problem to MDGx immediately so that he can include riched20.dll v5.3 instead.

I'll post new RICHED9X.EXE with RICHED20.DLL 5.30.23.1228 [from WinXP SP2 hotfix] soon here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581

I have posted new RICHED9X.EXE with RICHED20.DLL 5.30.23.1228 [from WinXP SP2 hotfix] here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581

HTH

Edited by MDGx
posted updated RICHED9X.EXE