Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

prathapml

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi condor, yes it is possible.

As usual, extract the MSP files for office 2007 into the Updates folder. When I did that to include SP2 with Office 2007 Standard Edition, the total size was below 700 MB. You want to be able to write this to a CD, isn't it?

Indeed sad, I wish there was some way to strip down the Office 2007 install files (or even to TRULY merge service packs instead of the current ham handed way - and disable MSOcache creation).

It could be argued though, that the standard edition provides pretty much all the apps a normal user needs, and thus stay below 700 MB.

We have Windows XP sp3 .My wife purchased a volume edition

Office 2007 ENTERPRISE from work. The installation stalls at the installation

progress screen then a dialogue opens with the message:

'Setup cannot find cannot find office.en-us\officeLR.cab. Browse to a valid

installation source then click OK'

This file does exist on the dvd but pointing the installation to the correct location doesn’t work. :wacko:

Can help me?

Edit :

Solved with microsoft installer !! :thumbup

Edited by PiRaT3iToR

I installed Office 2007 (Dutch) on a server share. The folder looks like below...

11-05-2009 10:35 <DIR> ACCESS.NL-NL

11-05-2009 10:36 <DIR> ADMIN

13-11-2006 06:54 175 AUTORUN.INF

11-05-2009 10:29 <DIR> CATALOG

11-05-2009 10:29 <DIR> EXCEL.NL-NL

11-05-2009 10:30 <DIR> INFOPATH.NL-NL

11-05-2009 10:31 <DIR> OFFICE.NL-NL

11-05-2009 10:30 <DIR> OFFICE64.NL-NL

11-05-2009 10:31 <DIR> OUTLOOK.NL-NL

11-05-2009 10:31 <DIR> POWERPOINT.NL-NL

11-05-2009 10:31 <DIR> PROOFING.NL-NL

11-05-2009 11:10 <DIR> PROPLUS.WW

11-05-2009 10:34 <DIR> PUBLISHER.NL-NL

13-11-2006 06:53 2.503 README.HTM

11-05-2009 10:34 <DIR> ROSEBUD.NL-NL

13-11-2006 06:54 463.152 SETUP.EXE

11-05-2009 10:34 <DIR> UPDATES

11-05-2009 10:35 <DIR> WORD.NL-NL

In the PROPLUS.WW I made changes to the config.xml...

I made a GPO that installs the PROPLUSWW.MSI (located in the PROPLUS.WW)

Installations to a workstation works fine. No problem at all. The application is not installed in production yet.

Now I want to add SP2 to this installation. Can someone please explain how to do this... Can I use the Update directorie? I thought this will not work, because this directorie will only be used when you use the setup. I use the MSI. Is there a way how I can slipstream the installation of SP2 into this setup. There are no PS's installed yet.

Regards,

Rob

@Robku

Yes, just extract the MSP files that you extract from the SP2 archive, into the Updates folder.

It will be used regardless of whether you use the MSI or SETUP.EXE.

Incidentally, atleast a few editions dis-allow using the MSI to install, leaving you with no other option anyway. Put in the arguments and other customizations you want into the customization MSP and into the config.xml, and just start the SETUP.EXE directly.

Edited by prathapml

Hi all

I was thinking about how does the script look like if you just want to make the whope pack unattended without taking some of the programs out the reason why I ask is becuase I have been sitting and tried a few things and well it does't really look like it's installing more then like five programs out of nine sow how does the script look like bout the script where you have enabled the program to be installed but also the script where you have disabled the program to be installed if anyone know the answer plese through a line of two and maybe highlight the topics where there have been made a change

best regards

Badsc9 and thanks

PS: by the way it's a great site sow to the people behind it keep up the good work it means alot to alot of us :-)

Option B:

1. Go to the folder-path, "Office2007\Pro.WW" (or any ??????.WW folder for other editions such as standard/enterprise/etc)

2. Modify "config.xml", or copy it to somewhere else & modify it, using my posted code below as a sample.

3. If you modified it "in location", then setup will take up the changes automatically.

4. Otherwise, place the modified file in the same folder of setup.exe, as custom-uA.XML

5. This is the command to run setup with the customizations specified in custom-uA.XML: setup.exe /config custom-uA.XML

7. This method is also a great way to make changes to the defaults itself, so that you dont need to keep changing it upon every new time you install it. The sample XML here, makes setup fully silent, cuts down features rarely used by me, and reduces install footprint of Office 2007 Professional from 721 MB, to 303 MB (of course you can always add/remove components later); I've also removed lines that I found useless from it, you might like to keep many of the default lines & customize them. Also, be aware that the XML offers a way to chain updates & install them before or after o2k7 setup, but then you'll lose control over reboot parameters. By default, o2k7 setup wont cause an auto-reboot, so no need of "/noreboot" or "Reboot=ReallySuppress" properties. I intend this XML to be used for clean installs, with no previous version settings or profiles to be migrated. Use "start /wait" for silent installs. This file is for the main suite, you can modify it accordingly for the other component products, the options are commented with double-slashes. I obtained the OptionIds from setup.xml files, in each component folder.

Here's a tested/working config.xml file, to get you started with Option B:

(you need to put in your own key, and configuration-Product can be obtained from your current xml)

<Configuration Product="Pro">

<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

<PIDKEY Value="BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789B" />
<USERNAME Value="0wner" />
<COMPANYNAME Value="0wn Inc." />

<OptionState Id="ACCESSFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //access
<OptionState Id="OUTLOOKFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //outlook
<OptionState Id="PubPrimary" State="absent" Children="force" /> //publisher
<OptionState Id="AceRepl" State="absent" Children="force" /> //access db Engine replication
<OptionState Id="CAGFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //Clip Organizer
<OptionState Id="MSSOAP3" State="absent" Children="force" /> //SOAP toolkit
<OptionState Id="OsaNonBoot" State="Local" Children="force" /> //new,open office docu lnks
<OptionState Id="ProofingTools_1036" State="absent" Children="force" /> //french
<OptionState Id="ProofingTools_3082" State="absent" Children="force" /> //spanish
<OptionState Id="WISPFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //handwriting
<OptionState Id="DocServicesFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //docu update util
<OptionState Id="HTMLSourceEditing" State="absent" Children="force" /> //script editor
<OptionState Id="DocumentImagingUtils" State="absent" Children="force" /> //scanning,ocr,indexing
<OptionState Id="OISFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //picture manager
<OptionState Id="OSESupp" State="absent" Children="force" /> //sharepoint support
<OptionState Id="QueryFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //msQuery
<OptionState Id="VisioPreviewerFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //visio viewer
<OptionState Id="XDOCSFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //infopath

<!-- These are additionals from Enterprise RTM
<OptionState Id="GrooveFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //groove
<OptionState Id="OneNoteFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //onenote
<OptionState Id="RefIEBarFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //research explorer bar
<OptionState Id="WebDriveFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //hosted webs
<OptionState Id="VBAFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //VB for applications
<OptionState Id="OfficeDigitalSFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //vba certificates
-->

</Configuration>

The procedure is same for all other editions of Office 2007. The above is just a working sample, you'd need to put in an appropriate key & modify as per your needs.

If you downloaded a single SETUP.EXE (500-MB?) from MSDN, then you might need to extract it to some folder, to get the installation source.

setup.exe /extract:D:\o2k7

@Robku

Yes, just extract the MSP files that you extract from the SP2 archive, into the Updates folder.

It will be used regardless of whether you use the MSI or SETUP.EXE.

Incidentally, at least a few editions dis-allow using the MSI to install, leaving you with no other option anyway. Put in the arguments and other customizations you want into the customization MSP and into the config.xml, and just start the SETUP.EXE directly.

So in my case... the extracted files from the update do not allow installing via an MSI. I tried... did not succeed... Just the standard files are installed, no updates...

I still want to use the MSI, because it is so easy to put a computer in a security group (with GPO) and the application is installed and uninstalled when I remove the SG.

If I use the setup, it will run in User context I guess? So a normal user does not have the proper rights... And... When it is installed... It can't be removed by simply removing the GPO from the computer?

Regards

Rob

I've created a custom.msp file, and the Office 2007 deployment is successful via group policy, but Office 2003 is not removed as requested. Having done quite a lot of research, it seems that Office 2003 will only be removed automatically if it was deployed via group policy, and not installed manually as is the case in my organisation. Any ideas how I can upgrade and remove Office 2003 at the same time?

Regards,

Geoff

I've created a custom.msp file, and the Office 2007 deployment is successful via group policy, but Office 2003 is not removed as requested. Having done quite a lot of research, it seems that Office 2003 will only be removed automatically if it was deployed via group policy, and not installed manually as is the case in my organisation. Any ideas how I can upgrade and remove Office 2003 at the same time?
If the old version isn't being removed, you might have to run a one-time command that all computers must execute at next logon. For example:
MsiExec.exe /X{10140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

You can find the exact product components to uninstall and their GUID codes in the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

You can also refer to this URL for GUID info and explanations - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832672

So in my case... the extracted files from the update do not allow installing via an MSI. I tried... did not succeed... Just the standard files are installed, no updates...

I still want to use the MSI, because it is so easy to put a computer in a security group (with GPO) and the application is installed and uninstalled when I remove the SG.

If I use the setup, it will run in User context I guess? So a normal user does not have the proper rights... And... When it is installed... It can't be removed by simply removing the GPO from the computer?

Hmm, for these purposes, an enterprise edition (or VLK license) is the best for ActiveDirectory environments. Other editions don't like to pickup MSP files from the Updates folder, as I mentioned. For me to suggest any workaround, may I ask which edition you are using?
I was thinking about how does the script look like if you just want to make the whole pack unattended, without taking some of the programs out
You are using Option B from the first post of this thread. The config.xml file i've posted there is just an example, and you'd have to modify it as per your needs. The XML code there, as you can see, has comments to the right side of relevant lines, which mention how to force install or NOT install specific components of the suite. You probably want to do a straight-forward install, with the default set of components installed, and no customization of removing components. Therefore, if you don't want to customize a particular setting/component, simply don't mention it in the XML file. So that is how you can go about doing what you mentioned in your post. Edited by prathapml

Hi Guys,

Do you know, how it's possible to desactivate the "pop-up" when you open Office 2007 for the first time ?

I have modified some parameters in my MSP file. But no effect.

FYI, I use Office 2007 Enterprise SP2 MUI, with MSP file and XML configuration...

Greg

Here is the screenshot

02062009170551.png

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thank you for all valuable information shared here.

Also, are you sure you are using a volume licensed version (non-pirated?) that supports using MSPs ?

If you're using a retail edition, use Option B.

Has anybody tried to add Admin folder into the root of Office 2007 retail version (to enable OCT). Here's a quick tutorial how to grab Admin folder: link

Followed the steps, but in my case didn't replace (cause I have Office 2007 pro retail version), just added Admin folder and "setup.exe /admin" is working, now. :thumbup

However, haven't tried installation after creating custom .MSP. Just want to make sure - Is it workable solution?

EDIT: Installation went just fine. That means non-VL(K) editions of Office 2007 can use OCT with custom made .MSP! :w00t:

"Admin" folder (from AdminTemplates.exe) has been available since 10/11/2007. :rolleyes: Latest one (SP2) can be found here (4/29/2009). Update/add "Admin" folder whether you have VL(K) or non-VL(K). It requires Office 2007 with SP2, but I have doubt about it. :unsure:

Edited by Salvadore