Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

prathapml

can i get help please?

i created a custom msp file and placed it with the setup file then when i run this :

start /wait setup.exe /adminfile custom.msp

through a patch file i get a window asking me to wait while preparing the installation files and then setup just terminates !?

i face no problems at all when i only run the setup.exe directly.

Can anyone please explain to me what went wrong?

i'm trying this on a vm with winxp sp3 installed.

@hamohd

Chances are that there is some error message coming up and so setup is erroring out.

Have you followed Step 6 from the OptionA ?

Please do that, take note of the error dialog, and then you would know what to do. Or else we could help.

Also, are you sure you are using a volume licensed version (non-pirated?) that supports using MSPs ?

If you're using a retail edition, use Option B.

I set it to install all components except office groove. save the .MST and execute it

The install goes without errors but afterwards it seems only word, excel, outlook and powerpoint are installed though I've marked publisher, onenote, access, infopath, etc to be installed too..

Hi mich, is this an upgrade by any chance? If Office 2003 is installed, you might need to uninstall it first, through scripts or manually. Does the install run fine when run manually? Also, have you tried this in a VM with nothing else installed?

@neuropass

Yes you can make Office install silently. Yes you can choose to install only word. And by "delete the other stuff, so it will be lighter" if you mean that you don't want to install anything else, thats possible. But if you mean that you want to reduce the size of the installer itself, so as to retain only files related to installing MS Word, then that isn't possible (as far as I know), maybe someone can find out how it can be done.

But I think one possible solution in your case is, to use the MS Word disc (MS Office is sold in different versions - editions that bundle a lot of apps, as well as individual apps in a standalone form). Atleast those companies with volume licensing can get access to individual apps. But don't expect very much size reduction, because MS-Office apps are quite small by themselves, but they all have dependencies on shared components that make up the majority of space occupied. In other words, MSO 2007 Std Edn may be 320 MB by itself, and Word 2007 might be 200 MB by itself.

Also you might want to take a look at this thread - http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39016

Considering that I've verified that an MSP created on one machine works just fine across hundreds of machines, I'd say "sharing it to somewhere else" is not a cause for error. Provided it is tested well while being made, and you keep the software environment uniform when deploying it, it should install just fine.

• 1 month later...

RBCC

I can see that all line seem to have been commented out.

i.e they all look like this::

<!--

<Display Level="full" CompletionNotice="yes" SuppressModal="no" AcceptEula="no" />

-->

remove the::

<!--

&

-->

try again and see what goes

My apologies, I tried to read through many of the posts in this thread before posting and did not see an answer.

Is there anyway to get this to work with users not having admin rights?

I can get it to work fine as an admin but we would like to do the silent install via a login script if it is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

i followed unattended option A: i configured all the settings i wanted, saved the custom.msp to the \updates forlder. but when i exe the setup i get the same pop up windows described in the first post post. this may be a dumb question but; do i have to select upgrade or custom for the install to finish? and once the install finishes with no errors then i go back to the .msp and turn off all notifications?

thanks in advance for your time.

• 1 month later...

After a lot of searching in different websites and several forums I've found this topic might be the most appropriate one that I may assk for.

Please any one did done this unattended setup for office 2007 correctly?

Any one done this with latest service pack 1?

Any how or way to do the same shrink as the way it was with 2oo3?

Please I do appreciate your time but would love to find some quick reply to determine if I can do it or not as we need to have a mass reinstallation for many computers tomorrow in the morning and I'd like to make it more easily for the team.

Thanks and much appreciated.

........but when i exe the setup i get the same pop up windows described in the first post post.

...do i have to select upgrade or custom for the install to finish?

and once the install finishes with no errors then i go back to the .msp and turn off all notifications?

If that same window (as in the first post) pops up, then you're on the right track.

You have to click Upgrade (or in most cases, click Install for fresh install). Do not click custom, because then your MSP file isnt even used.

And yes, once the install finishes without errors, you turn off notification via the MSP file.

Please I do appreciate your time but would love to find some quick reply to determine if I can do it or not as we need to have a mass reinstallation for many computers tomorrow in the morning and I'd like to make it more easily for the team.

Yes, I can confirm that this works, to setup office 2007 unattendedly (maybe redundant, since you want confirmation from others?)

And yes, I did this with the latest SP1, and it works - just extract and put the relevant MSP update files in the Updates folder (as mentioned in first post).

As for shrinking the setup files of Office 2007, I'm yet to see any info regarding that, chances are that it is not possible with what we know so far.

All the best MGB, the mass re-installation should go a bit quicker and easier for the team with this method (thats why we all want unattended after all).

Yes, I can confirm that this works, to setup office 2007 unattendedly (maybe redundant, since you want confirmation from others?)

And yes, I did this with the latest SP1, and it works - just extract and put the relevant MSP update files in the Updates folder (as mentioned in first post).

As for shrinking the setup files of Office 2007, I'm yet to see any info regarding that, chances are that it is not possible with what we know so far.

All the best MGB, the mass re-installation should go a bit quicker and easier for the team with this method (thats why we all want unattended after all).

Thanks a lot, is it possible to do so using wpi or nlite?

• 1 month later...