Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

prathapml

Hi

I have Office 2007 Enterprise Ed, I work at a University here in South Africa, I need a script to do a silent, customised, full (with all the bells and whistles) unattended install for 400+ PC's currently running Office XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro. It would need to remove all previous Office versions etc. I'm not too concerned about the files that are cached on the local machine, I'll use a batch file to sort that out. I will run the office installation from a network share. I haven't worked with scripts alot as they always seem to need lots of fiddling :( I'm hoping someone has a script already that I could use and edit a few parameters like cd key, company and user details. Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks

I used SMS 2003 to push the precache installs to my clients for Office 2007 Enterprise. How do I now use SMS to create a package to run the install from the local precached copy and not have it try to re-create the install cache from the network installation point used to create the precache. Will the setup from the network installation point "see" that the precache exists and skip the copy to the cache and continue on using the source files in the precache??

I used SMS 2003 to push the precache installs to my clients for Office 2007 Enterprise. How do I now use SMS to create a package to run the install from the local precached copy and not have it try to re-create the install cache from the network installation point used to create the precache. Will the setup from the network installation point "see" that the precache exists and skip the copy to the cache and continue on using the source files in the precache??

We have tried this using Livestate Delivery and are getting alot of errors installing from a local copy. Now I call a batch file from our delivery tool.

Still having some errors on uninstall. This has not been the smoothest package project.

I go to deploy it to a test machine it starts to install office but quickly comes to the ctrl-alt-del then when I log in to check it only installs the office folder. No word excel etc. jsut like image scanner and one other office tool. any thoughts on this?

I really need some help here... I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. The only difference is that I'm not using .msp files.

Here's what I did:

-copied all the installation files to a shared folder in the DC

-Changed the ProPlus.WW\config.xml to the following:

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">

<Display Level="None" AcceptEula="Yes" />

<Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="testing.txt" />

<PIDKEY Value="bla bla bla" />

<USERNAME Value="%USERNAME%" />

<COMPANYNAME Value="Anything" />

<INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" />

<LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" />

<SOURCELIST Value="\\srvdc01\Office12" />

<DistributionPoint Location="\\srvdc01\Office12" />

<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="IfNeeded" />

</Configuration>

-Then I published the ProPlusWW.msi

Every single time I try to deploy Office 2007 thru GPO, i get only these 2 tools installed:

Microsoft Office Document Imaging

Microsoft Office Document Scanning

And guess what, they dont work...

The Event Viewer says everything is ok and the applications was installed successfully.

-I tried including the following line to test only Excel installation, but still no sucess, only that 2 **** tools appear.

<OptionState Id="EXCELFiles" State="Local" Children="force"/>

Does anyone suspect what's going on?

Edited by ronil

I go to deploy it to a test machine it starts to install office but quickly comes to the ctrl-alt-del then when I log in to check it only installs the office folder. No word excel etc. jsut like image scanner and one other office tool. any thoughts on this?

I really need some help here... I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. The only difference is that I'm not using .msp files.

Here's what I did:

-copied all the installation files to a shared folder in the DC

-Changed the ProPlus.WW\config.xml to the following:

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">

<Display Level="None" AcceptEula="Yes" />

<Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="testing.txt" />

<PIDKEY Value="bla bla bla" />

<USERNAME Value="%USERNAME%" />

<COMPANYNAME Value="Anything" />

<INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" />

<SOURCELIST Value="\\srvdc01\Office12" />

<DistributionPoint Location="\\srvdc01\Office12" />

<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="IfNeeded" />

</Configuration>

-Then I published the ProPlusWW.msi

Every single time I try to deploy Office 2007 thru GPO, i get only these 2 tools installed:

Microsoft Office Document Imaging

Microsoft Office Document Scanning

And guess what, they dont work...

The Event Viewer says everything is ok and the applications was installed successfully.

-I tried including the following line to test only Excel installation, but still no sucess, only that 2 **** tools appear.

<OptionState Id="EXCELFiles" State="Local" Children="force"/>

Does anyone suspect what's going on?

Your line:

makes the install copy all the cache files necessary for the Office install to c:\MSOCache\All users (hidden). This will "precache" the requirements to a clients local C: drive so when (later) you initiate the install (after you comment out the line) it will initiate then use the local "precache" copy for the source files. This is necessary when you are trying to deploy the Office Suite to clients when network speeds are an issue. It won't actually install the office Suite. if you remove this line and push a setup it will use the local precache to install and save network resources. Office requires this cache to be copied regardless of how you install Office. Comment out this line and try again. This "precaching" will also retain msp customization files as well. If you want to initiate the precache install FROM THE CLIENT DESKTOP, you can also use the setup located at (after the precache of course using the first setup with the <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> flag enabled) at:

From Microsoft:

As an example for Enterprise 2007

C:\MSOCache\All Users\{940120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C \setup.exe (no spaces and use quotes "")

You can change the : {940120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C to a different reference based on what your installing from the below list

Another example for Normal Professional 2007 Edition (notice the change according to the reference below)

C:\MSOCache\All Users\{940120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C \setup.exe

Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007

Enterprise.WW

{940120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

ProPlus.WW

{940120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Standard 2007

Standard.WW

{940120000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Professional 2007

Pro.WW

{940120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Access 2007

Access.WW

{940120000-0015-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Excel 2007

Excel.WW

{940120000-0016-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Groove 2007

Groove.WW

{940120000-00BA-0000-0000-1000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007

InfoPath.WW

{940120000-0044-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office OneNote 2007

OneNote.WW

{940120000-00A1-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Outlook 2007

Outlook.WW

{940120000-001A-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007

PowerPoint.WW

{940120000-0018-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Project Professional 2007

PrjPro.WW

{940120000-003B-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Project Standard 2007

PrjStd.WW

{940120000-003A-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Publisher 2007

Publisher.WW

{940120000-0019-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007

SharePointDesigner.WW

{940120000-006E-0409-0000-1000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007

VisPro.WW

{940120000-0051-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Visio Standard 2007

VisStd.WW

{940120000-0053-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Microsoft Office Word 2007

Word.WW

{940120000-001B-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-drive

Edited by Mookey

Hey Everybody,

first time poster, long time lurker...well at least on this subject

I am working on packaging Office 2007 Enterprise and I have gotten the package to install the programs, but there are some small tweaks that I would like to make in order to keep the users from being prompted for things. I have actually done this package with option A, option B and I even tried a combination of A and B to get this to work.

1. Right now all of the Office programs on initial run after install are prompting for username and initials. It has the fields mostly populated, I just would like to suppress this if possible (this is the lowest priority of my issues)

2. Even though this is an Enterprise license and valid I get a prompt to activate Office upon first run. Clicking next a couple times, it finishes right away and says its successful. Is there a way to force this to be done?

3. Privacy options, I noticed this for Outlook but it might have been in other things as well. I get a pop up for a couple Privacy settings that Microsoft would like to do (Enable Customer Experience Improvement Program, Automatically receive small updates to improve reliability, Search online content whenever available) I would like to get this window suppressed with these options disabled.

Any help on getting these options suppressed would be greatly appreciated.

Hi tsikma, thats true, I get annoyed by those as well. But I've just not got round to them yet, will post info when I manage to do some testing. But you can try working out a solution using regshot - LINK to tool. Do post your findings :)

1. This is do-able, its an optional PROPERTY setting for the installer which needs to be passed to the MSI (thats how it used to be till office 2003, info on office resource site), but needs to be done thru the MSP now in o2k7.

2. This should NOT be happening at all. Something is wrong with the installer files or some registry keys applied by the installer seem to not be "staying" after setup finishes.

3. Yes, privacy+update options dialogs will appear upon first-run of any office app. You can configure the privacy+update options in the MSP, and then use the above tool to find out which registry key is modified (take 1st shot immediately when the dialog comes up, take 2nd shot after closing that dialog). And then export those registry entries, and apply them yourself (unattendedly) to prevent those dialogs from the next install onwards.

Edited by prathapml

Hi tsikma, thats true, I get annoyed by those as well. But I've just not got round to them yet, will post info when I manage to do some testing. But you can try working out a solution using regshot - LINK to tool. Do post your findings :)

2. This should NOT be happening at all. Something is wrong with the installer files or some registry keys applied by the installer seem to not be "staying" after setup finishes.

3. Yes, privacy+update options dialogs will appear upon first-run of any office app. You can configure the privacy+update options in the MSP, and then use the above tool to find out which registry key is modified (take 1st shot immediately when the dialog comes up, take 2nd shot after closing that dialog). And then export those registry entries, and apply them yourself (unattendedly) to prevent those dialogs from the next install onwards.

In regards to #2:

I am still fighting the Activation Wizard that appears upon bootup, could this be a remnant of the Office 2003 that I have uninstalled prior to installing the Office 2007? This happens even if I install Office 2007 after removing 2003 through Add/Remove Programs manually and restarting, so I dont think the script is the issue in removing office properly...

and for #3:

I have played around with this tool and have narrowed down the registry key to

HKU\S-1-5-21-796845957-1844237615-1801674531-69345\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Internet\UseOnlineContent: 0x00000001

The only problem is that this is a users key and so logging into a machine with another user will cause this screen to pop up again. In fact both the username/initials and this Privacy Options window will appear for the users the first time they open an Office program. I have been digging around but have yet to find a way to add a key for all possible users. something like this...

HKU\%SID%\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Internet\UseOnlineContent: 0x00000001

I found a similar folder at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Internet

and added that key to this location (hoping it will apply to the local machine and supercede the HKU setting) but it doesnt seem to be taking the way I hoped it would.

I am just taking one thing at a time, so the username and initials thing is the last thing I am caring about, and might be resolved in a similar fashion to the issue #3

Thanks for the help so far!!

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody!

We have to prepare some laptops and desktops for our consumers.

Those laptops & desktop comes with an evaluation of Office 2007.

We have to uninstall this version of Office 2007 and install Office 2003.

I wrote a Batch script to uninstall Office 2007 and install Office 203.

I found this command line to uninstall :

start /wait MsiExec.exe /X {91120000-0031-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} /passive /norestart

The uninstall process runs correctly but it seems the "start /wait" command has no effect : the script continues to runs and the Office 2007's uninstall runs in the same time...

Is there any way to ask Msiexec to give back hand to script only when the uninstall process is finish ?

Thank you very much

Edited by Sylvain COUDEVILLE

Hi Guys,

I've got a dutch office 2007 enterprise disk and i've made an adminfile with the options:

- display level=none

- suppress modal

- no cancel

- accept eula+serial

- organization name

now when i launch the process with

setup.exe /adminfile office2007enterprise.msp

i get prompted to select the version of office i want to install ( e.g. enterprise or just visio only ). When i select "enterprise" and hit "Doorgaan"(translated:continue), the setup screen freezes but the install continues with the values located in the MSP file. When the setup is done, the frozen screen disappears. I've read this topic/forum but haven't found someone with the same problem.. Anybody got a clue? Thank you in advance!