Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

prathapml

If I unattended try to uninstall Office 2007 Enterprise, it always reboots after completion.

I've tried the following:

msiexec.exe /X{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} /quiet /passive /norestart /qb-!

and:

setup.exe /uninstall enterprise /config config.xml

where config.xml includes:

<Configuration Product="Enterprise">

<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="ReallySuppress" />

</Configuration>

Any ideas on how to prevent that from happening?

Edited by newuzer

Is there a good (as in easy) way to force any open Office2003 apps to close so SMS can push Offfice 2007 as an upgrade? It seems to be impossible to get the users to close outlook, so the install, naturally, fails. i can't find anything in the OCT that addresses this, but perhaps I'm just not seeing it.

If it can't be done using the OCT or directly editing a config file, is there another tool I can use by linking it to the SMS package?

- Everett

Hi,

You can use PSKILL.EXE to kill any application.

laze.

If I unattended try to uninstall Office 2007 Enterprise, it always reboots after completion.

I've tried the following:

msiexec.exe /X{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} /quiet /passive /norestart /qb-!

and:

setup.exe /uninstall enterprise /config config.xml

where config.xml includes:

<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="ReallySuppress" />

</Configuration>

Any ideas on how to prevent that from happening?

Already found the answer.

config.xml should include:

<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" />

</Configuration>

I have another two problems with Office 2007 enterprise vl

1. I made .msp and everything works fine except one thing - it always asks me what I want to install (look at attachment). Because I have two MUI.

So is there a way to select appropriate product automatically (first one) ?

I have the same issue. I tried to specified the Product Code in the config.xml file, still not working.

For the problem #2 make sure you added the proper entries in the config.xml filelocated in the Enteprise.WW folder.

Here's my config.xml file:

<!-- Install Office 2007 Enteprise as default product -->

<Setup Id="Enterprise" Type="Product" ProductCode="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}">

<!-- Match GUI language with system language -->

<AddLanguage Id="match" ShellTransform="yes"/>

<!-- Add english language pack -->

<AddLanguage Id="en-us" />

<!-- Add french language pack -->

<AddLanguage Id="fr-fr" />

Any suggestions ?

Edited by JakeLD

• 2 weeks later...
(updated to reflect final RTM version)

Unattending or silently installing MS Office System, has now become easier than ever. There are two ways to unattend your setup:

--> Option A (use it only if you got Office2007 thru SoftwareAssurance, which comes with activation stripped out).

--> Option B is for all the others (retail/OEM/academic/trial/etc). Both are colored differently below.

Option A:

1. Ensure you have an actual enterprise/corporate disc & product-key.

2. Notably, o2k7 uses setup patches (*.MSP) rather than transforms which previous versions used (*.MST). The below instructions will give you an MSP file, which is not accepted by non-corporate versions of o2k7. If you ignored point1 above, then you will end up wasting 15 minutes of your life which I'm not responsible for.

3. Now at the command prompt, type: setup.exe /admin

4. Choose the product for which you want to make a customization-patch.

5. Then go through all steps in the customization wizard (to install the reqd apps & remove junk & change default settings).

6. Be sure to have "completion notice" turned on & "suppress modals" turned off (this is to get to see errors, if any exist). Once you're done with testing, go thru the customization again to modify the MSP to disable completion notice & enable suppress modals.

7. Save the resulting patch file in the same folder as o2k7 setup files.

8. Now just execute this command (thru any method) for silent install: setup.exe /adminfile CUSTOM.MSP

Or if you have the Office 2007 Enterprise VLK, you could even drop the CUSTOM.MSP file in the "Updates" folder & setup will pick it up automatically (without any switches being used). For this, ensure you have WindowsInstaller 3.1 already installed.

*** For completely silent install, you MUST set the DisplayLevel to "none", either by MSP (accessible from step 6 above) or by xml, otherwise you'll get a confirmation dialog similar to the image shown in attachment below. (do this only AFTER testing, when you're sure it works)

post-9470-1174874729_thumb.jpg

So once I have created the custom msp file, and put it in the main office2007 install source folder, packed it with nlite addon maker using the command switch /adminfile custom.msp to a huge cab file, put it in nLite patches it should install with windows???

Guys an easy way to install the XPS and PDF addin is to do this.

we will assume you know how to do a GPO install.

Install the SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe which you can find here Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS Addin

Then copy the ExPdfXps.msi and the ExPdfXps.cab into the network share that you want to distribute the files from. You can find these two files in C:\Program Files\MSECache\ExPdfXps\1033.

Hope this helps... I tested the install and it works. thumbup.gif

Or you can also obtain the ExPdfXps.msi and the ExPdfXps.cab files by making an Administrative-Install-Point of the addin, using this command:

msiexec /A SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe aipfoldername

"Slipstream" defined:

to slipstream is to integrate files from a hotfix or service pack into the original installation media. Microsoft, as well as many other companies, do this as a way of minimalizing the time needed for products to be configured and updated when first installed.

It is designed to reduce the length of a running program by removing the non-essential instructions. Usually, existing components are replaced with an updated version at source itself.

So by definition, you cannot really "slipstream" Office 2007 into your XP dvd as such. What you *CAN* do though, is to include any application you want on your dvd, and use unattended install scripts to have them setup silently without any clicks needed from you.

For more info - The Unattended Guide

hi prathapml

please help me here with office 07, am trying to slipstream my office silent installer to my xp dvd, but for some reason half way through installation it fails. please help me slipstream to office 07 to xp please as you know a lot about office 2007

thanks

I have another two problems with Office 2007 enterprise vl

1. I made .msp and everything works fine except one thing - it always asks me what I want to install (look at attachment). Because I have two MUI.

So is there a way to select appropriate product automatically (first one) ?

I found the answer :thumbup

I'm starting Office 2007 setup with both .xml and .msp files:

setup.exe /adminfile Enterprise.WW\autoinst.msp /config Enterprise.WW\config.xml

you know how to create .msp and here is my config.xml

<AddLanguage Id="en-us" ShellTransform="Yes" />
<AddLanguage Id="ru-ru" />
</Configuration>

Now it installs everything for me without any questions B)

Hi all

I found this information extremely useful! BUT just one problem.

I have PC's with both Office 2003 + Office 2007 running. The ones having 2003 works fine with the MSP file install, but the ones with the 2007 installed on them just asks if Office 2007 should be modified.

Is there a way for me to uninstall Office 2007 if it exists on the PC, using the MSP or XML file?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Well, there's no easy/direct way that i'm aware of (unless you write scripts to detect & run uninstalls....)

A simple way does exist, provided you know which edition of Office2007 is currently running on the PC. Information relating to this can be found here - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA...aspx?mode=print

Scroll to the bottom where it tells you about "setup.exe /uninstall Pro" - you can get the name/edition of office from setup.xml (see if the productid is pro or basic or enterprise, etc)

/uninstall [ProductID]

Removes the specified product from the user's computer. Look up the value of [ProductID] in the Setup.xml file for the product you want to modify.

Example

\\server\share\Office12\setup.exe /uninstall Pro

where Office12 is the root of the network installation point.

Note that you will have to run that script separately, to remove o2k7 if detected, before installing office. A command-line script for example:

REM we now remove o2k7 if detected
if exist "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12" start Office2007\setup.exe /uninstall Enterprise
REM we now install o2k7
start /wait Office2007foldername\setup.exe /yourchoiceofswitches

Edited by prathapml

Thanks very much for the reply, I've tried you solution, it works, apart from that the .bat file is starting the install immediately after starting the uninstall, resulting in an error saying that the product has been damaged and needs re-install.

I'll try it on a fresh machine.

EDIT: Now works, but it comes up with a confirmation box if I wanna uninstall. Any option to make it unattended like the installation??

Edited by ITSnedkeren