Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

prathapml

The "/extract" switch works perfectly.

Just go to start > run > type in the location of the hotfix with the switch on the end and click OK. It will then run, accept the agreement and then select where to save the output. The output will be an *.msp file, place this in your updates folder.

Example - c:\KB123456.exe /extract

laze.

(updated to reflect final RTM version)

Unattending or silently installing MS Office System, has now become easier than ever. There are two ways to unattend your setup:

--> Option A (use it only if you got Office2007 thru SoftwareAssurance, which comes with activation stripped out).

--> Option B is for all the others (retail/OEM/academic/trial/etc). Both are colored differently below.

Option A:

1. Ensure you have an actual enterprise/corporate disc & product-key.

2. Notably, o2k7 uses setup patches (*.MSP) rather than transforms which previous versions used (*.MST). The below instructions will give you an MSP file, which is not accepted by non-corporate versions of o2k7. If you ignored point1 above, then you will end up wasting 15 minutes of your life which I'm not responsible for.

3. Now at the command prompt, type: setup.exe /admin

4. Choose the product for which you want to make a customization-patch.

5. Then go through all steps in the customization wizard (to install the reqd apps & remove junk & change default settings).

6. Be sure to have "completion notice" turned on & "suppress modals" turned off (this is to get to see errors, if any exist). Once you're done with testing, go thru the customization again to modify the MSP to disable completion notice & enable suppress modals.

7. Save the resulting patch file in the same folder as o2k7 setup files.

8. Now just execute this command (thru any method) for silent install: setup.exe /adminfile CUSTOM.MSP

Or if you have the Office 2007 Enterprise VLK, you could even drop the CUSTOM.MSP file in the "Updates" folder & setup will pick it up automatically (without any switches being used). For this, ensure you have WindowsInstaller 3.1 already installed.

*** For completely silent install, you MUST set the DisplayLevel to "none", either by MSP (accessible from step 6 above) or by xml, otherwise you'll get a confirmation dialog similar to the image shown in attachment below. (do this only AFTER testing, when you're sure it works)

post-9470-1174874729_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaNgO

Hi all, I have read all the replays and have helped me a lot. I have the PROHYBRIDR version of Office 2007 and I need to install various product keys in various computers.

But I have some questions:

- Can I specify the path where the users save all the documents made with Office 2007 by default, like the ork 2003 do.

- I need to make a visual basic script to run the silent installation, introducing each product key by computer.

Thanks a lot. Shald

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering if the methods listed on the first page work with Vista?
Yes indeed, same methods for XP,2k3,vista.
v4.45b of 7zip works fine to extract the updates.
Winrar has been correctly extracting MS hotfixes since a long time - its just a self-extracting .CAB archive!
I have the PROHYBRIDR version of Office 2007 and I need to install various product keys in various computers.

But I have some questions:

- Can I specify the path where the users save all the documents made with Office 2007 by default, like the ork 2003 do.

- I need to make a visual basic script to run the silent installation, introducing each product key by computer.

I've never heard of a PROHYBRID version of office.

Yes you can specify the default-save-path for documents, it can be done when you're preparing your MSP file.

As for the VBscript, you might need to make it yourself, as per your customized needs.

What I would like to be able to do is have a preinstall done (I build computers) for my customers and when you first start an office app it will ask for the serial.
There's a very simple way to do this:

1. First use a key to install.

2. After install, delete this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Registration (on XP & vista 32-bit)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Registration (on XP & vista 64-bit)

3. You can do the above 2 steps in the normal way, or you can automate both of the above (to do it unattended).

4. Thats all.

Edited by prathapml

is there any method to compress office 2007 installation files

You can 7-zip it the same way as you can with 2003, search for "office 2003 7-zip" or similar.

@prathapml - As far as I can determine, the setup in O2k7 does not allow for the removal or different placement of the LIS. removal only occurs if Office is not installed for some reason. The MSOcache is created on the same drive and the installation path of the main program. This seems to be by design. Sigh.

In 2003 there was a tool in the Office Resource Kit called LISTool.exe which allowed changing the location of the the LIS or it's removal. More specifically, it dealt with the approriate registry entries. I'm willin gto bet it will work on 2007, though it doesn't appear to be included in the the Resource Kit.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/...1402361033.aspx

The LIStool & and also batch-files can remove the MSOcache, after its created.

But I dont want it to be created at all.

(in office 2003, you could specify that you dont want a local cache at all, and that saved half the install-time)

Yes,

At the moment, I delete MSOCache after the installation completes, but this isn't ideal.

If as prathapml suggests, installation time's drastically cut by not creating MSOCache, then I'm for working that much harder to find a solution.

laze.

Is there a good (as in easy) way to force any open Office2003 apps to close so SMS can push Offfice 2007 as an upgrade? It seems to be impossible to get the users to close outlook, so the install, naturally, fails. i can't find anything in the OCT that addresses this, but perhaps I'm just not seeing it.

If it can't be done using the OCT or directly editing a config file, is there another tool I can use by linking it to the SMS package?

- Everett

I have another two problems with Office 2007 enterprise vl

1. I made .msp and everything works fine except one thing - it always asks me what I want to install (look at attachment). Because I have two MUI.

So is there a way to select appropriate product automatically (first one) ?

2. I had two separate MUI packages (as you can see in attachment image - russian and spanish). As I know I can merge all MUI folders with .ru-ru and .es-es extensions into main Office 2007 installation and I did it. Original setup.exe (look at the attached image again) recognizes these MUI folders and I can select them from the list. But the problem at the end of the MUI installation is asks for setup.exe and don't accept itself.

Original setup.exe from the worked fine (separately) but now I deleted it :(

This was a beta of Russian MUI. Now works fine.

post-138276-1181807568_thumb.png

Edited by Marsianin