Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

prathapml

As I have posted above,:

using the *.MSI with switches doesnt work anymore - its been blocked, in fact.

The SETUP.EXE file is run directly, (alongwith the barely 2 or 3 switches that you can apply to it at install-time)

The setup.exe handles installation at run-time, the customizations are thru MSP, & setup-properties can be inserted thru the config.xml.

Here's an excerpt from documentation LINK:

Description: It is impossible to install 2007 Office release without running setup.exe.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I was just wondering if there is any work being done on an unattended and slipstreamed Office 2007 installation.

What I would like to beable to do is have a preinstall done (I build computers) for my customers and when you first start an office app it will ask for the serial.

This way I can use different serials for each computer keeping all legit.

Somehting similar to the Hide Default option for XP were it only shows the pages you havn't entered infor for.

I have seen some threads here that is a 2007 unattended but they all have the serial built in.

ANyhelp would be much appreciated.

EDIT by Shark007

I took the liberty of moving your post to this thread

It is the most likely place to get the answers you seek.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to prathapml, finally, I succeeded in the complete silent installation Office 2007. :thumbup

I use Option A together with Option B to install.

1)Copy all folders and files in OFFICE12 DVD to D:\office2007 (example)

2)Make a Unattended.MSP (*.MSP)

Set OFFICE12 in DVD-ROM drive (example. F drive)

Execute the command F:\setup.exe /admin

Save as "Unattended.MSP" in D:\office2007 (In the same folder with setup.exe)

3)Make a "custom-uA.XML" as below, and put it in D:\office2007.

4)Then, just execute this command

D:\office2007\setup.exe /adminfile Unattended.MSP /config custom-uA.XML

I believe I have Office2007 Enterprise, not the other version.

I tested some methods to install Office 2007 including prathapml's Option A, but I could not install Office2007 Enterprise silently. I still got a dialog window asking and I had to choose Office applications again. (The same dialog in Option A- 4.) :wacko:

I used both Option A and B, then I succeeded in the complete silent installation Office 2007. :lol:

custom-uA.XML

<Configuration Product="Enterprise">
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="ReallySuppress" />

</Configuration>

Be careful, it takes much time to finish the full installation. In case of my PC (northwood 3.4G memory2G) it takes about 10 minutes appearing Office products shortcuts in start-up.

Edited by Tinywoods

Hi,

I apologise if my question has been answered. My browser is returning an error when I try to read pages 2-3 of this thread.

Question:

There have been several updates released for Microsoft Office 2007 since RTM. In order to apply the KBXXXXXX.exe updates to Office, I just save them in the updates folder and Office will automatically install them during setup, right?

I don't need to reference each individual update anywhere in my *.msp file?

Thanks.

laze.

Question:

There have been several updates released for Microsoft Office 2007 since RTM. In order to apply the KBXXXXXX.exe updates to Office, I just save them in the updates folder and Office will automatically install them during setup, right?

I don't need to reference each individual update anywhere in my *.msp file?

That is exactly how I thought it works, but apparently it does not. I have already tried putting all the 'update exe files' in the updates folder but none of them got applied. Based on what I can make out from a few posts in this thread it seems you need to have the updates in a '*.msp' file format. Upon extracting the 'KBXXXXXX.exe update' files I found that they all contain several *.txt files in addition to 'DetectionDll' '*.cif' & a '*.msp'. I am presuming that all you need is the '*.msp' file to be put in the 'Updates' folder. I personally have renamed all the '*.msp' files to 'KBXXXXXX.msp' using the coresponding 'KBXXXXXX.exe' file names to keep it more organized. Hopefully this shall work.

Edited by Sanjay

I have some good news and some bad news.

First, the good news is that the updates all got automatically installed from my 'Unattended DVD'. I simply extracted the *.msp files from the KBXXXXXX.exe files, renamed the *.msp files to 'KBXXXXXX.msp' using the coresponding 'KBXXXXXX.exe' file names and placed them in the Updates folder.

Now for the bad news. The other add-ins did not get installed from the Updates folder. I think it may have something to do with the fact that they don't have a *.msp file in them. If someone knows how to get the add-ins to install automatically, please share the info here.

Thanks.

PS: I had placed the following add-ins in the update folder:

Microsoft Office Outlook Connector - msnolcon.msi

Outlook Personal Folders Backup - pfbackup.exe

Office 2007 Add-in Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS - SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe

Edited by Sanjay

Hi,

What program do I need in order to extract the *.msp files? And once I've extracted an *.exe is the only file I need the *.msp file, delete any other files that extract and the original *.exe, right?

Thanks.

laze.

Hi,

What program do I need in order to extract the *.msp files? And once I've extracted an *.exe is the only file I need the *.msp file, delete any other files that extract and the original *.exe, right?

Thanks.

laze.

You can use 7zip or WinZip to extract the files from the KBxxxxxx.exe files. From the extracted files all you need is the *.msp file, you can discard all the other files. Also, just to keep things organized you may want to rename the *msp file to KBxxxxxx.msp using the corresponding names from the exe files. But this is not required.

Edited by Sanjay

easier way to extract, just do /extract as a switch with path to extract and it will extract. By doing so, it will extract only the .msp.

Also, you can put them in runonceex using /quiet so they install silent if you don't want to bother extracting them.

Edited by nodiaque

For installing add-ins for Office 2007 do the following:

ECHO.
ECHO Installing 'Microsoft Office 2007 Add-Ins'
ECHO Please wait...
ECHO Microsoft Office Outlook Connector
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Office2007\Add-Ins\msnolcon.msi /q
ECHO Outlook Personal Folders Backup
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Office2007\Add-Ins\pfbackup.msi /q
ECHO Office 2007 Add-in Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Office2007\Add-Ins\SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe /q

PS: You have to extract 'pfbackup.exe' to get 'pfbackup.msi'.

easier way to extract, just do /extract as a switch with path to extract and it will extract. By doing so, it will extract only the .msp.

Also, you can put them in runonceex using /quiet so they install silent if you don't want to bother extracting them.

Hi,

Thanks.

For some reason my 7zip reports the *.exe as an unrecognised file-type and will not extract it so your alternative solution is better.

laze.

For some reason my 7zip reports the *.exe as an unrecognised file-type and will not extract it so your alternative solution is better.

laze.

v4.45b of 7zip works fine to extract the updates.