Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

prathapml

Hi,

I am trying to create an unattended installation of Microsoft Office Standard 2007 with a Volume licence version. What I have done is followed option B. I copied all the files from the source CD to my hard drive, duplicated the XML from the first page and placed it in with the file "setup.exe" and then launched "CMD" and executed "setup.exe /config custom-uA.xml" and basically it just does nothing? Am I not following the instructions correctly?

If i change the 2nd line from Display Level="none" to "full", the setup would launch by will prompt for a key.

Thanks for your help!

I had the same problem then i saw this

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=86727

havnt tried the iso yet but it looks like its gonna work

:lol:

No offence meant, but jcarle says exactly what my first-post says.

You could follow what he says and then read this thread for further details & fine-tuning.

He definitely discovered the Option-A method by himself, he has a good way of working out solutions & tools. :)

Edited by prathapml

Did somebody tried to apply policies with OCT ?

My MSP works but do not apply the policies. I had to work with both methods ( A and B ) to completely get it silent. I cannot put MSP in Updates folders because I need one MSP for standard and another one for pro. So I use setup.exe with the swithes /config and /adminfile with the path where files are and logfile say me that it found both files. Logfile shows me a few couples errors like

Error: Type: MsiRecordSetInteger call failed.. MsiAPICallFailure ErrorCode: 87(0x57).

MSI(UNKNOWN_MESSAGE) terminating install : MsgType='167772160', Msg='1: 2: 3: 4: 5:

My customs settings are applied except policies for Onlines craps.

I can confirm that it definitely works.

The above problem could be due to WindowsInstaller (MSI v3.1) being corrupted - removing & reinstalling it, & also, try using only /config or /adminfile.

Also, you seem to have a two-in-one, of Office 2007 standard and professional. Preferably, it must be separated - make a copy & one of the *.WW folders.

I went to the %temp% folder and I don't see any of those files there. I just typed "%temp%" into the address bar and it took me to a directory, but those files aren't present even though I double click on the .exe file and it finish extracting.
If its not in %temp% then it extracts somewhere else (must be a location on C: drive). And even if the MSP doesnt work, the config.xml method will definitely work for every edition of office 2007.
.....Group Policy deployment.

I understood it in this way : All settings i have done on the MSP file were not applied on GP deployment ,so i used config.xml file.

You can use both, the xml, & the MSP - this will give you the desired result of removing the old office versions (MSP does this) & applying further customizations (xml).

Preferably, drop the MSP into "Updates" folder & then set the GP to use "/config" switch for the xml (because using BOTH /config & /adminfile, will make the WindowsInstaller get complex with one file being prioritised over the other, etc).

I tried adding the EnterpriseWW.msi file via Group Policy
Hi JaySwift,

I believe using the *.MSI with switches doesnt work anymore - its been blocked, in fact.

The SETUP.EXE file is run directly, (alongwith the barely 2 or 3 switches that you can apply to it at install-time)

The setup.exe handles installation at run-time, the customizations are thru MSP, & setup-properties can be inserted thru the config.xml.

Here's an excerpt from documentation LINK:

Description: It is impossible to install 2007 Office release without running setup.exe.
Do post again to let us know how its goes, or if it gives you any further issues. We'd like to share info about what doesnt work & find out if solutions are working :)

im installing it via msp file but now in vista the setup doesnt associate office files and everytime an office app is launched i get a windows "wait until windows configures office 2007".
You ran office2007 setup on vista silently? Was it before first-logon by any chance? That can lead to vista discarding the registry entries made by o2k7 setup, leading to this problem.

I run o2k7 setup thru <SynchronousCommand> during the <oobeSystem> pass, which is working properly.

The Action Pack is missing the \admin folder and has r suffix on these files\folders..

\Enterpriser.WW

Interesting!   I wonder if removing the 'r' suffix & copying an \admin folder over, will allow it to work ?
I try to use option A, work, but isnt is 100% silent. Open one screen with a button for click Install.
You must set the DisplayLevel to "none" - either thru the MSP or thru the xml.
please, help me. i can't install office 2k7. I have tried with option B, but i cant install anything, it always put me a window asking me for the PROPLS.WW
That must be because the Configuration-Product needs to be changed. The attached xml in Option-B is an example, you must compare it to your edition of office & modify accordingly.
..... "The Setup configuration file config.xml is not valid. Run Setup again without using a Setup configuration file, or fix the configuration file."

There is no configuration file in the Setup folders...

Even VL editions of Office do have (and need) a config.xml

It might be needed to copy over that file from your CD. (or re-download from MVLS, etc)

It looks like this is the only problem, so having a valid config.xml should fix it.

I am trying to create an unattended installation of Microsoft Office Standard 2007 with a Volume licence version. What I have done is followed option B. I copied all the files from the source CD to my hard drive, duplicated the XML from the first page and placed it in with the file "setup.exe" and then launched "CMD" and executed "setup.exe /config custom-uA.xml" and basically it just does nothing? Am I not following the instructions correctly?

If i change the 2nd line from Display Level="none" to "full", the setup would launch by will prompt for a key.

Ah, thanks for the info, enables me to understand whats happening here.

Basically, when displaylevel was none, your setup was launching, finding an invalid key, & failed silently.

When you changed it to full, you were asked for a key, to be able to proceed.

So therefore, you havent done anything wrong, its working as expected - the only hitch is, you forgot the part where I say replace this with your own, actual key.

So just insert your key (without the dashes, according to example shown in Option-B ) and it should work. ;)

Edited by prathapml

I still need assistance with the issue that I am having...has anyone seen this before and if so how did you fix it....

I am using SMS 2003R2 to push out Office 2007...or more like I am attempting to do this.

I have created the msp file and per directions tried the "setup.exe /adminfile Custom.msp" in the command line for the SMS program.

When I run the program I get the following error - "The Setup configuration file config.xml is not valid. Run Setup again without using a Setup configuration file, or fix the configuration file."

There is no configuration file in the Setup folders...this is a Volume License Setup...the previous person had removed the config file from the enterprise.ww folder....when running the program manually it starts without a problem.

I have also tried the option of putting the custom.msp file in the updates folder and running the setup.exe from SMS 2003 but with no luck...I get the same error about the config.xml not being valid....

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss.

Thank you in advance.

-Irate Penguin

I did answer it above :)

..... "The Setup configuration file config.xml is not valid. Run Setup again without using a Setup configuration file, or fix the configuration file."

There is no configuration file in the Setup folders...

Even VL editions of Office do have (and need) a config.xml

It might be needed to copy over that file from your CD. (or re-download from MVLS, etc)

It looks like this is the only problem, so having a valid config.xml should fix it.

Just save this as config.xml (that is if you're using Enterprise Edition, and you can modify them if needed, and if you modify it then remember to remove the comments just like how it is in Option-B-Post #2 in this topic):

<Configuration Product="Enterprise">

<!-- <Display Level="full" CompletionNotice="yes" SuppressModal="no" AcceptEula="no" /> -->

<!-- <Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Enterprise Setup(*).txt" /> -->

<!-- <PIDKEY Value="BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789B" /> -->

<!-- <USERNAME Value="Customer" /> -->

<!-- <COMPANYNAME Value="MyCompany" /> -->

<!-- <INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" /> -->

<!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> -->

<!-- <SOURCELIST Value="\\server1\share\Office12;\\server2\share\Office12" /> -->

<!-- <DistributionPoint Location="\\server\share\Office12" /> -->

<!-- <OptionState Id="OptionID" State="absent" Children="force" /> -->

<!-- <Setting Id="Reboot" Value="IfNeeded" /> -->

<!-- <Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" /> -->

</Configuration>

Edited by prathapml

how to slipstream patches to office 2007 enterprise?
Just download the update file (exe or MSP), and put it in the "Updates" folder, in the same way that you put your CUSTOM.MSP file in there for customizing setup!

That way, setup will automatically install all updates it finds, when installing office.

There is no other way to directly integrate files into office-2007, that i'm aware of.

Edited by prathapml

For example, the PDF+XPS addin comes as an exe, it installs automatically from Updates folder.

And the hotfixes & Service-Packs for o2k7 will come as an exe, which can be extracted to obtain the MSP....

Here is a method to make MSP files other then the enterprise editition

1) you NEED the enterprise edition

2) Copy the ...WW folders to the root of your office 2007 directory

3) use the setup /admin option

4) now you can select for wich version you want to make an MSP :-), enjoy

example:

C:\Office 2007\Enterprise.WW

when you are done:

C:\Office 2007\Enterprise.WW

C:\Office 2007\yourofficeversion.WW