XP MCE Performance Questions

Hi,

Now, from what I have read, I am led to belive that XP MCE is simply XP Pro with an added component. If this is the case, why is it so much better (performance wise) than a standard XP Pro?

Don't get me wrong, XP Pro performs fine on my machine, but MCE runs so much better and stabler and also uses a lot less resources. I did read somewhere that MCE uses an updated kernel...could this be it?

Thanks

HougTimo

XP MCE is just XP Pro with some extra components. It is not better performance wise. It uses the same amount of recources. I don't think it has an updated kernel. Only Windows Server 2003 has an updated kernel. MCE is not faster or more stable than Pro. If you find differences its becasue of the configuration, settings, updates, maybe a fresh install or another version of .NET Framework or something.

No, I'm sorry but there is a HUGE difference between the two. I made two identical installs, same hard disk, same amount of services, same page file, same stuff enabled. Pro runs well, but MCE is so much better and stabler too.

Right for those of you who can't / don't understand.

I made two unattended disks, both with all current hotfixes installed. The configuration of these two installs are exactly the same.

The services I had enabled were:

DHCP Client

Event Log

Plug and Play

Remote Procedure Call

Task Scheduler

Themes

Windows Audio

WZC

Workstation

Everything was configured exactly the same. Same hard disk, same steps taken in the install procedure. Now it is a FACT that MCE does out perform PRO on my setup. I did not come here to deliberately post bul***** around the place. This is the result of extensive tests and benchmark tests run on my system. I cane to find out why this is this way and all you seem to do is tell me i am bulls***ting because it is not an experience you have encountered.

So, please accept what I'm saying, ask me to do things, if you can prove that MCE does not perform as well as Pro, tell me how I can find out! Don't just accuse me of lying before you have looked deeper into my system, and how I was running it.

HougTimo

Edited by hougtimo

Interesting stuff hougtimo,

Can you benchmark the install's ? i men how do you see the increase in preformance on your system, just boot time or the time it takes to finish install or application speed?

Would like to find out whats making the diffrence,

Interesting stuff hougtimo,

Can you benchmark the install's ? i men how do you see the increase in preformance on your system, just boot time or the time it takes to finish install or application speed?

Would like to find out whats making the diffrence,

good idea.maybe boot time , and loading time of applications also

It is possible, but we'd have to have perfmon data of both machines showing disk queue length and disk throughput numbers, memory numbers, processor data, etc. while doing the exact same steps to determine if this is really the case.

Anything's possible :).

For my benchmark tests, i used Passmark's Performance Test 6. Wh

ile the XP Pro tests came out at just above average for my hardware, the MCE tests showed a marked increase in numerous tests. The most impressive was hard disk access speed which went up by almost a 10th!

I will run some more perfmon benchmark tests and give you the result soon.

p.s about boot up time ... XP Pro did seem slightly quicker than MCE, but I have no hard evidence either way

HougTimo

Edited by hougtimo

• 2 weeks later...