Linux Alongside Windows

Well, VMWARE doesn't work with Linux because it can't find the hard drive...

Anyway, I have got Fedora Core 5 now, and I plan to install it on a separate partition of my first hard disk (about 20gb in size)...I will make the partition in PartitionMagic...Does anyone have any idea where I go from here?

The Linux distro is a personal preference. I would recommend reviewing one of the various DualBoot HOWTOs on the web, a good place to start is the Linux Documentation Project. Another good refs is Ed's Software Guide on Linux

I've had much better luck building the system linux w/room for my Windows install. If I remember correctly you install linux w/free disk space for your windows install starting w/in the first 8.5GB. Then install Windows on the free space. When I'm done w/the base install I add a line in grub for Windows and edit the boot.ini. If it's working, I continue loading the rest of my apps and tweaks. Last time I did this it only took a few hours to get both OS's up and running. The HOWTOs out there are very helpful.

• 1 month later...

There is no best linux to run alongside windows, it entirely depends on what you want the system for and how competant you are using it. Seeing as you sound fairly noobie when it comes to linux u should try one of the more popular and easier to get to grips with. perhaps ones like Ubuntu, fedora, linspire, mandrake.

I dual boot XP and Ubuntu. They worked together without a hitch until I re-installed XP, and the installer 'accidently' killed the boot loader.
Q: How to restore GRUB menu after Windows installation?

1. Read General Notes

2. Read How to use Ubuntu Installation CD, to gain root user access?

3. e.g. Assumed that /dev/hda is the location of /boot partition

# grub-install /dev/hda

back to topic, as someone already said, it depends on your preference.

for me ubuntu dapper :)

I use Fedora/Core 5 and it multiboots fine alongside Windows XP.

The GRUB bootloader it uses for a boot menu is annoying, I haven't found out how to get rid of it e.g. if I wanted to remove Fedora.

Oh yeah, and I can't use windows or linux in VMware either.

It works in Virtual PC though.

Edited by T D

to get rid of it just replace the boot record where GRUB resides.

i.e. if it's on your MBR just stick a default bootrecord back on.

as far as which distro goes....try a few different ones and see what you like. ubuntu is very nice, and i also like MEPIS

There is no best linux to run alongside windows, it entirely depends on what you want the system for and how competant you are using it. Seeing as you sound fairly noobie when it comes to linux u should try one of the more popular and easier to get to grips with. perhaps ones like Ubuntu, fedora, linspire, mandrake.

FINALLY... A person with common sense about the linux/windows debate!

:hugs you: :lol:

• 1 month later...