WIM image deployment

DGA

Yes,

Both XP SP2 and Vista 5342, works well on both, Ximage capture will work on XP or vista machines, to edit a WIM files you will have to mount it in a Vista machine and the mounting feature of the latest WAIK does not work with XP. you can mount a image but not acess it

Xp works perfectly fine with the WIM image, our standard image with be in WIM format soon enough. the ability to just mount and adjust the image without having to recapture the entire image is a godsend.

DGA,

did you get any errors when you tried applying the WIM to you client machine?

McStarfigther,

Yes you could, but when vista RTMs in November they will be releaseing the WAIK and Pe 2.0 to the public instead of making it a purchasable item. might take over for bart at that point

lol ok,

one more time... yes XP and 2003 both can be built into a WIM image, what i did for XP (bare with me as i wasn't the only one who worked on this in our org) we built our standard machine image, loaded all needed drivers and software packages that would be needed by defualt (office, adobe, pactches, java etc) sysprep of the machine and then a capture of the image via a PE environment means that you had a prepped image that can be deployed via a network source or a DVD/CD depending on the size of your image,

fizban2,

I installed Vista 5342 added the apps I needed, syspreped, booted to WINPE, captured the image with ximage, formatted the drive then applied the image. The machine does not boot and cannot find NTLDR..

• 1 month later...

I'm experiencing this same issue with Build 5384 - it says that NTLDR is missing after I apply the .WIM image. I'm curious if anyone has come up with a solution for this problem?

To give more information, I'm following the instructions in the "Vista Step By Step Deployment Guide" on Microsoft's Vista TechNet site. I've done everything to the letter and everything has worked, except for when I apply the .WIM image file to the C: using imagex and then reboot the computer, I get NTLDR is missing error.

Any more information needed, please let me know.