Server HDD Failure

win1980

Hi my server hdd fail on me today, as i do not have any ghost copy of the operating system a reinstall of my windows server 2003 standard edition might be necessary.

can the current desktops and laptops still login to the reinstalled domain? Assume i create back all the same user login etc.

Hi my server hdd fail on me today, as i do not have any ghost copy of the operating system a reinstall of my windows server 2003 standard edition might be necessary.

can the current desktops and laptops still login to the reinstalled domain? Assume i create back all the same user login etc.

if you'll reinstall your domain and not restore from backup, no they can not, you have to re-join them to the domain ...

if you'll reinstall your domain and not restore from backup, no they can not, you have to re-join them to the domain ...

then this way all the user profile will be lost am i right to say so?

then this way all the user profile will be lost am i right to say so?

yes

because all usernames will have diffrent strings in their sid's and so will create new profile based on that sid

but you can always restore all profiles to new ones

Even that can be problematic (you're going to be doing some ADSI surgery depending on the age of the backup), and it's always a last-resort step. I'll still take it over nothing anyday, though :).

Edited by cluberti

...should one service be down we have another to take over...

Normally, that's a cluster. However, in AD, that's accomplished by having multiple DCs, multiple DNS servers, multiple GC servers, and spreading out the FSMO roles as necessary.

i was in discussion with someone today and he propose a HP ML360 to replace my current server, it would come with dual xeon process, 2.0GB RAM, 2 X 73GB RAID 1 for the OS and 3 X 142GB RAID 5 for the file.

we will also put in a new gigabit switch for the backbone, connecting the new and old servers, the firewall and adsl modem. The current ML150 server will be upgraded and use as a secondary backup incase the first server should fail. For a staff strength of 60 do you think this is good enough?

I would think that would be a very good solution for a userbase of that size, as long as 280GB of storage space is 1) adequate for your userbase's file storage and 2) can be backed up completely and regularly, either to tape or another storage medium.

another thing to take into consideration is what this server will be running. will it be on server 2003 R2? or SBS server (with 60 users you are better off with server 2003) is it going to run exchange or any other apps? just some things to think about when you plan out what you will need in a server.

Unless it's SBS, don't run Exchange on a DC - ever.

i totally value what you say cluberti as you are so experienced, can you tell me why please?

what if its a small(ish) company (30 users) and they have for example server 2003 standard as a DC running exchange? surely of it had say 2 Xeons and around 2-3 GB of ram it would be ok wouldnt it?

Edited by eyeball